Is there another way to defrag in os ME

dessi 01:23 07 Aug 03

Hi all my friend who is running ME tried to defragment his 40gb hard drive and is getting a box indicating 0% defragment and won't go any further,is there another way or command to use to defragment the hard drive all comments appreciated thanks.

Djohn 01:38 07 Aug 03

Ask your friend to close all "Running programs", I think that ME. is the same as 98, if so, then use Ctrl/alt/del keys together to bring up a window displaying all programs. Close each one down, one at a time, except for "Explorer", and "Sys. tray", then try defrag again, should work ok.

If not, then re-boot and tap the F8 key, this will start up in DOS mode, you will see 4 options, choose "Safe mode" then after it has finished loading the basic drivers, try defrag again. j.

mark e 07:27 07 Aug 03

check out a program called diskeeper thats what i used with me it did its job ok.

Mark

Mango Grummit 07:35 07 Aug 03

By entering "EndItAll" into Google you can find and download a little app that can be used to stop background programs in their tracks before defragging. Also you may like to find and try "Power Defragger". This uses the standard windows defragger but automatically stops all programs prior to allowing defrag to take place.

regards, M

dessi 09:16 07 Aug 03

thanks for replies will pass on info today and feed back tomorrow thanks

Andsome 09:43 07 Aug 03
  Andsome 19:26 08 Aug 03

Resolved or not???

anchor 09:09 09 Aug 03

Follow Andsome`s link for the free "Diskeeper Lite"; this should resolve the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…