Thanks to Woodchip for the xp start floppy

howard64 19:38 16 Nov 07

I made the floppy when it was first suggested but never needed to use it. Yesterday a friend brought his grand daughters pc to me, it would not run windows but stopped with a message saying run the xp cd and press R to recover. I tried everything I could think of unsuccessfully including starting from the xp cd. This just hung and I was thinking of formatting and starting again. Then I remembered Woodchip and the startup floppy. Viola windows started as if there was nothing wrong. Thanks again Woodchip a great idea. Perhaps worth repeating it for those that did not see it.

woodchip 19:45 16 Nov 07

Good to see that it worked in this situation

woodchip 19:47 16 Nov 07

First format a Floppy disc in XP

Run type
Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

you can now try starting your computer with the floppy disc.

Then copy NTLDR back from floppy to the root of the drive.

Long Live the Floppy!

You can do the same on a CD make a bootable CD with NERO and burn the files to It.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:47 16 Nov 07

To see if you can get it to boot without the floppy

Copy the NTDETECT.COM and NTLDR from the floppy to the c: drive
attempt to boot withthe floppy NOT in the drive and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…