Thank you...

barryoneoff.co.uk 10:42 17 Mar 04

I haven't been about for the last week or so. I have been trying to get my forms to work properly on a new commercial site (see my posting 'Forms and E-mail').

Now that they are working fine I would like to take this oppotunity to thank one our forum members, Taran, for all the help he has given me (off forum) over the last week. It turned out that there was a bit of a problem, and he spent quite a bit of time sorting it out for me.

As a by product of of his help, I have gained confidence using FTP software, and also now am beginning to grasp the basics of PHP. I only wish I could shake him by the hand, but It'll have to be a virtual handshake.

Once again, many thanks to Taran.

Cheers, Whiz...

whatsupdoc 10:59 17 Mar 04

people such as taran and all the members spend helping out the terminally daft like myself genuinely amazing and heartwarming. its great to know that if you have a problem or you just want to learn something new, people will freely give time and advice.

thanks to all.

whatsupdoc 10:59 17 Mar 04

people such as taran and all the members spend helping out the terminally daft like myself genuinely amazing and heartwarming. its great to know that if you have a problem or you just want to learn something new, people will freely give time and advice.

thanks to all.

IClaudio 11:02 17 Mar 04

yup, it's worth repeating...;)

Taran 11:17 17 Mar 04

Not necessary but still very much appreciated :o)

Opening the doors to FTP allows vastly improved flexibility and control over your web in general and also means incremental publishing and minor modifications need not be left entirely up to a web authoring program which may [or may not] get things right. Far more convenient.

As for the PHP side of things, suffice to say that anyone who has ever wrestled with a Perl script for form handling will appreciate the ease of configuring a PHP file. You still have to enter some minor details about your own web site, email address and so on to get the pre-written scripts up and running, but you have one thing above all that is a real boon: no cgi-bin to worry about...

Well done for putting the effort into understanding it all. I know how difficult it can be when first starting with scripts and FTP, but it all helps in the long run and once you have the basics covered it's amazing what you can do.

And I appreciate the virtual handshake !

Best of luck with it.

T

PurplePenny 12:36 17 Mar 04

Oh yes it is! We know that you don't require thanks but *we* have a need to thank you.

If we all had to pay consultancy fees for the help that you give us, on and off line, you'd be a multi-millionaire :-)

Taran 14:30 17 Mar 04

Don't give me ideas.

I've always wanted to be a millionaire...

;o)

Holographic_man 16:29 25 Mar 04

I echo all of you, and without all of your help, I know I would not have attempted to put up my first web site.

Maybe Taran will invite us all around to his gaff so we could shake his hand? ;-)

Forum Editor 18:56 25 Mar 04

to his gaff - he doesn't live in one.

You can hear him speak though, if you
click here

barryoneoff.co.uk 01:16 26 Mar 04

fascinating FE! But who's site was it? Yours, or Tarans?

PurplePenny 12:59 26 Mar 04

... Thanks a bunch FE! Now I'll be reading Taran's posts with HAL's voice in my head :-)

Taran! - now we know why you don't do thinking during the week - all your higher reasoning circuits were removed three years ago ......

:-)

PP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…