tft what to look for

musiclady 14:24 09 Jul 04

i am looking at getting a tft monitor but what should i look for and any recommendations

Djohn 15:27 09 Jul 04

click here Tomshardware and have a read through the reviews of TFT monitors.

Response time is not as important as some will have you believe! Some TFT's with a 20 ms response will out-perform one with a 16 or even 12 ms.

Look for a DIV connection as well as analogue, the DVI will give you a slightly cleaner signal, also look at the different types of TFT panel as some will give you a much wider angle of view.

The two main types of display are TNT+Film and MVA/PVA as used by Samsung Their advantage is very good colours and unmatchable viewing angles.

Remember that although you can alter the resolution to a small degree TFT's will always look better/sharper at their native resolution and for some people this can render text a little on the small side, not so much in applications but more so on the web, especially in web forums.

I'm using a 17" AOC TFT at 1280x1024 the display is razor sharp with stunning colour output but I do at times find the text in the forum a little hard to read due to my less than perfect eyesight. :o(

Djohn 15:30 09 Jul 04

In my link above just hit the search button after the page has loaded.

Sans le Sou 16:24 09 Jul 04

If you go to: tools/ internet options/accessibility/click ignore font sizes specified etc. it all gets bigger. As for monitors ,depends whether you need them to tilt, swivel,rotate etc. Mine doesn't do any of that and I really do not miss it at all. Otherwise it depends on size and picture quality. I have an Iiyama 19" Prolite E481 which is very sharp, the bigger size means a bigger desktop, but a 17" is very good also. Would endorse going for the DVI option if your graphics card has a DVI connection. It depends on how much money you are able to spend at the end of the day.

TommyRed 16:34 09 Jul 04

I only have a Medion 15" TFT (size isn't everything, as the wife keeps saying) but it appears to be a similar size viewing area as my old 17" CRT. HTH TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…