tft what to look for

musiclady 14:24 09 Jul 04

i am looking at getting a tft monitor but what should i look for and any recommendations

Djohn 15:27 09 Jul 04

click here Tomshardware and have a read through the reviews of TFT monitors.

Response time is not as important as some will have you believe! Some TFT's with a 20 ms response will out-perform one with a 16 or even 12 ms.

Look for a DIV connection as well as analogue, the DVI will give you a slightly cleaner signal, also look at the different types of TFT panel as some will give you a much wider angle of view.

The two main types of display are TNT+Film and MVA/PVA as used by Samsung Their advantage is very good colours and unmatchable viewing angles.

Remember that although you can alter the resolution to a small degree TFT's will always look better/sharper at their native resolution and for some people this can render text a little on the small side, not so much in applications but more so on the web, especially in web forums.

I'm using a 17" AOC TFT at 1280x1024 the display is razor sharp with stunning colour output but I do at times find the text in the forum a little hard to read due to my less than perfect eyesight. :o(

Djohn 15:30 09 Jul 04

In my link above just hit the search button after the page has loaded.

Sans le Sou 16:24 09 Jul 04

If you go to: tools/ internet options/accessibility/click ignore font sizes specified etc. it all gets bigger. As for monitors ,depends whether you need them to tilt, swivel,rotate etc. Mine doesn't do any of that and I really do not miss it at all. Otherwise it depends on size and picture quality. I have an Iiyama 19" Prolite E481 which is very sharp, the bigger size means a bigger desktop, but a 17" is very good also. Would endorse going for the DVI option if your graphics card has a DVI connection. It depends on how much money you are able to spend at the end of the day.

TommyRed 16:34 09 Jul 04

I only have a Medion 15" TFT (size isn't everything, as the wife keeps saying) but it appears to be a similar size viewing area as my old 17" CRT. HTH TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch