TFT screen problems

griffo 11:34 28 Jun 03

I have 2 HP omnibook XE3 laptops that are 16 months old. One has a failed back light on its' screen and the other has shown early signs of a pending failure! Ironically, they are just 4 months beyond their warranty!

I imagine that the TFT screen just plugs into a multi-pin adaptor inside the lid? If this is so and a "reasonably competent" person could do the job - can anyone advise if it is possible to get either a new backlight or (as I suppose)a new TFT panel. If this is possible can you suggest a source and approx. cost?

many thanks

Big Elf 14:05 28 Jun 03

I would get in touch with HP even though they're out of warranty as this may be a problem with that model and they may replace or repair as a goodwill gesture.

griffo 17:28 28 Jun 03

have done that - waiting for reply but with no expectation

barrie_g 18:44 28 Jun 03

I would have thought that this would be a dealer only part, and that even then it would only be available on special order if at all.

griffo 15:15 29 Jun 03

I suspect you're right after all, why let someone carry out a repair on something small like a screen backlight, when you can get them to scrap the whole machine and buy a new one! Or is that too cynical of me?

I will not be buying HP again, that's for sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…