TFT Monitors for Gaming - Any Good?

joesoaps 23:50 13 Jan 05

My grandson who is a gaming addict keeps pestering me to get a TFT monitor for my pc which he uses mainly for games.I always thought that CRT was best as the TFT monitor I saw on a friends pc left ghostly trails behind when playing games.

Admittedly that was a few years ago and grandson says newer TFT's are much improved, is this correct, are they any good for games or is he just trying to drag me into the modern era again?

Totally-braindead 23:55 13 Jan 05

I've just got a TFT and yes its fine for gaming, the thing to watch for is response rate. Mine is a 14ms response time and its great no ghosting even on graphics intensive games. A lot of the TFTs are slower, it likely that the one you saw was 25ms or worse and they're totally useless, you can't even watch a DVD with a lot of action in it. I know a mate bought one and gave up on it (this was a year or so ago)

Djohn 00:03 14 Jan 05

That's strange Totally-braindead. I have a new 17" AOC TFT at 25 ms response time and there is absolutely no ghosting at all on any DVD movie or in the really intensive Mad-onion graphic test which pushes the monitor and graphic card to the limit.

GaT7 00:03 14 Jan 05

Get one with the fastest response time (you can afford at least!). The response times are going down all the time. See this click here. G

Totally-braindead 00:05 14 Jan 05

Well I stand corrected Djohn, the ones I've looked at with a slower response time always appeared blurry to me.

JonnyTub 00:16 14 Jan 05

Unless your going to pick through the bones of it and have perfect 20-20 vision (of which by the way, nobody has!!, and so the onslaught of ie connections continues :-)prove me wrong) you ain't going to notice the slighest difference, apart from a sharper image looking at stills, through a tft.
DJohn, excellent choice, viewing your text through the exact same monitor as we speak, an AOC 17" LM72, perfection to a tee

Djohn 00:30 14 Jan 05

Yes, I agree JonnyTub. I have the LM727 click here and it is superb.

Sorry Totally-braindead, I didn't mean it to come across as a rebuffle to your comment, more as a personal finding on my behalf and the findings on my search for a monitor in my price range.

There is some confusion and a little playing about with the figures when it comes to measure the response time of a TFT. Some suppliers will note the time for a pixel to turn on/off. Others will give the more accurate but sometimes longer measurement of, On/Off/On again.

Toms hardware guide is a good place to check on response times and how they are taken when they do their test. Also Anandtech. click here gives an excellent guide on what to look for in choosing a TFT.

Totally-braindead 00:44 14 Jan 05

No problem Djohn, I was commenting on what I'd personally seen, the TFTs I did see were very blurry when it came to graphics, they had slow response times so I put it down to that alone. Obviously that is not the case, the monitors I have seen must be poorer quality ones where the image is not up to scratch.

The Sack 01:26 14 Jan 05

Mine is 20ms (rising and falling) and its fine.

Lokit 02:19 14 Jan 05

In the January issue of PCA they did a review of TFTs and this one - click here - came out best of the bunch.

Notice it's 12ms response time!

JonnyTub 02:37 14 Jan 05

I don't mean to be rude, but CAN your eyes specificaly tell the difference betwen a 25ms response screen and a 12ms response screen, i think the answer is no, because you don't own all the gadgets and gizmo's to test it right??? unless you are the biggest doom3 fan and have played this on both type of screens, on the same machine, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, and if you could, well, gimme your eyeballs cos mine have being going dodgy for quite some time, lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…