TFT monitors. Backlight replacement, and more.

Drum 16:12 23 Feb 05

Hi all.
I’ve got some questions about TFT monitors.

I’ve had two, an Iiama Prolite and a NEC MultiSync.
They’ve both been excellent, but the NEC one is getting on in years now, (nearly 4), and I notice now the bottom half of the screen is quite dim, so probably the backlight needs replacing.

I’m not keen on what manufacturers call a “swapout”, as I had this done twice with the Iiyama due to technical problems, and handed in a near mint monitor, and got back some secondhand screens that were in frankly appaling condition. One of them looked like the screen surface had been scrubbed with a brillo pad, and the other was stained dirty brown and stunk of nicotine!

So the question is, can one do a backlight replacement at home, or is it possible to demand the same monitor back after factory repair?

Also, if I go for a new monitor do I need a DVI input, and what difference will that make? (My PC’s graphics card has a DVI out).

Some years ago there was talk of a new style of TFT screen which was organic. Have these ever become a reality?

LeadingMNMs 16:20 23 Feb 05

I'm not sure standalone TFT monitors, but you can definately get backlights and fit them yourself with a laptops LCD monitor.

You don't need a DVI input, but appartently the quality will be alot better - however only the more expensive monitors come with this. I have a dual display system and use the DVI on the graphics with an adapter so that I can connect up a second monitor, although this probably reduces the quality of the DVI.

Certainly not seen any organic TFTs though I can't say I've looked :)

FelixTCat 16:37 23 Feb 05

If you can get a TFT with a DVI input for a reasonable price, do so. The graphics card manipulates your data digitally, then translates it into an analogue signal for the monitor. The analogue port on a TFT monitor then translates that signal back to digital to display it. If you use the DVI port, the digital signal form the graphics card goes directly to the digital processor of the screen, cutting out 2 translations on the way. That is why the DVI input produces a better display.

You can always ask the repairer to return your screen after repair and make it a condition of giving them the work - they may equally refuse the work under those conditions, charge you more or make you wait a lot longer for the repair; that would be entirely up to them.

Organic screens are for the future. There are still problems of getting a long enough life - being organic, they have a tendency to decompose!

georgemac © 08:07 24 Feb 05

I've started looking at getting a budget TFT screen for my son, as his sony 17" crt is getting rather tired.

click here are selling 17" tft (digimate + arianet brands) for under £150 with 12 ms response times, and they are getting rave reviews from customers. Also apperaing for about £20-£30 more are DELL branded tft's which are also supposed to be excellent, think they have 16 ms responce times.

All these only have VGA connections.

Drum 17:40 24 Feb 05

Thanks for the replies folks. I've e-mailed NEC asking about the repair, but no reply as yet. (3 days!)

LeadingMNMs, I couldn't follow your dual display.
As an avid Flight simmer, I did toy with the idea of multiple monitors once, as you can spread the display over multiple screens, and it's like looking out of different windows in the cockpit.

Were you perhaps meaning dual PC connection to one monitor?

LeadingMNMs 18:21 24 Feb 05

I have two monitors attached to the one computer (2 outputs on the graphics card, one DVI and one standard). There are various ways that they can be arranged, I have mine able to show different things, while there are also modes allowing one to have a copy of the first monitor, and ones that allow you to spread the display over both monitors (sort of a widescreen with a gap down the middle i suppose).

I'm not sure how the flight simulator would work, never tried one, but when I play games they only run on the primary display and this cannot be changed (well it probably can, but i haven't the time or need to worry about it).

Drum 17:54 25 Feb 05

Thanks for taking the time to explain.
Occasionally I have two PC's attached to one monitor, but really, one PC and one monitor is about as much as my brain can cope with at one time.

Aren't PC's wonderful though.....the possibilities are endless.

When they're working that is!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…