TFT Monitor versus CRT

caradoc 12:44 18 Oct 04

Anyone recommend a TFT Monitor suitable for an avid Flight Simmer? At present have a 17" Hyandai CRT Monitor which works fine but would like to have more room on my computer desk.

Would appreciate advice from anyone using a TFT or has such knowledge.

Have been told, unless I pay top price for the TFT it won't be much good for Flight Simming and that I should get a larger,(which would be cheaper), more "modern" CRT. I Realise this would take up more space on my desk!
Present monitor has to be around 8 years old.

System AMD Athlon 2400XP, 1GB RAM, MSI FX 5600 TD Graphics running Windows XP Pro OS.

JonnyTub 12:53 18 Oct 04
  PA28 13:41 18 Oct 04

I use FS2004 to keep up to speed when I'm not flying the real thing - it's also very useful for practising instrument procedures. I use a (cheap) bog standard Relysis 17" TFT which serves me very well. Die hard gamers will insist on a TFT with a fast refresh rate (which I'm sure mine hasn't got!) so keep this in mind. Also keep in mind that TFTs have a "native" resolution, unlike CRTs. You must work within the native resolution or the image will be severely degraded - instrument readouts become very hard work. A 15" screen has a native res of 1024x768, but you may find the instruments a bit on the small side. A 17" has a native res of 1280x1024 which is much better - but your graphics card and processor need to be powerful enough to deliver decent frame rates (min 20-25fps) to achieve the essential smoothness of display.

caradoc 15:36 18 Oct 04

Many thanks for your help. TFT it is!!

PA28 20:39 18 Oct 04

Wise choice in my book. The link that JonnyTub provided is a bit dated - you should be able to get a reasonable 17" TFT for around the £300 mark without too much trouble. See if you can try before you buy (though the setup in places like PCW can be dubious - you can often get the things looking a look better at home than under the harsh lights of a warehouse).

JonnyTub 20:42 18 Oct 04

dated yes, same rules apply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…