TFT monitor problem

Jim Thing 15:13 19 Jan 06

My PC is an Advent 3400+ (Athlon 64 processor and onboard SIS graphics) running XP (Home) plus SP2. The monitor, which came as part of the package, is a 17" TFT analogue job which Everest gives as "Plug and Play Monitor [noDB]", listing the Monitor ID as PT50417 and the Model as CY765. A spot of Googling established that the monitor manufacturer is Proview.

The sharpness of the image on the monitor has always seemed a bit below par to me, but I had put this down to wear & tear (on me, not on the monitor) and had expected that, one day, things would become clearer following cataract surgery, for which I've been creeping slowly up a waiting list for ages (at least I hope I have). Recently, however, my youngest son paid me a visit during which he remarked that my monitor is cr*p (a plain-speaking lad, my youngest, but with 20/20 vision). As a result I set out to determine whether I have the correct driver for the thing, and further Googling quickly established that Proview don't do drivers because their monitors are happy with the standard Microsoft Plug and Play arrangement.

At some point during the above hunt I was very surprised to find (under Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > SIS Utility Manager > Driver Mode Settings) a dialog box which tells me that my Driver Mode is set to CRT(!) but doesn't offer any way to change it. A Support Modes dialog box immediately beneath the Driver Mode box offers the choice of CRT or LCD but the latter is greyed out.

Would someone please hazard a guess as to: (a)what's happening here? (b) is it relevant? and if so: (c) what might I do to improve things?

TIA

Jim

rmcqua 15:20 19 Jan 06

'Fraid I can't offer any help on the CRT/LCD option problem, but I can say that when I lived in the USA I experienced many ProView monitors and they never impressed me. They had a reputation for being very "cheap and cheerful".

Jim Thing 17:26 19 Jan 06

^

jail-bird 17:41 19 Jan 06

something here may help? click here

Jim Thing 22:10 20 Jan 06

Thanks jail-bird and rmcqua but I'm still baffled. I've been through jail-bird's interesting link in some detail but, on first reading at least, it doesn't appear to offer any help with my CRT/LCD problem. To my inexpert eye this looks very much like a driver issue, but I can't see any monitor driver updates in Windows Update.

I'm beginning to suspect that rmcqua's voice of experience may have hit the nail on the head — it may be simply a cr*p monitor.

I'll leave the thread open for a while, just in case.

Totally-braindead 22:16 20 Jan 06

I have a cheap TFT monitor and I'm happy with it, no drivers exist for it, like a lot of cheap monitors it just uses the plug and play monitor driver. If everything is pretty below par then you're probably stuck with it, but if its text then this may help click here I certainly have found it good for text issues anyway.

Danoh 22:27 20 Jan 06

I don't know your monitor but would guess that it only has an analogue cable connection, which is denoted as "CRT" by your SIS Utility software. Presumably if you had a digital cable connection to another TFT monitor, your SIS Utility software would make the "LCD" option available.

The other thing to check is what the screen resolution is set to. 17" LCD monitor's default and optimal resolution is normally 1,280 x 1,024. Try and change to this setting and see if things look clearer for you. You might find everything looks a bit too small. However it might be worth persevering just a bit, to see if the increased clarity offsets the smaller sized items displayed on screen.

Hoping some of my guesses hits the right spots!

Totally-braindead 22:32 20 Jan 06

If you do try the higher resolution you can always make the icons larger and that may improve things. Thats what I had to do with mine, as well as installing the cleartype for the text.

Jim Thing 23:12 20 Jan 06

Many thanks. I'll try out your suggestions and post back tomorrow.

Danoh your guess is correct, the monitor is analogue only. But I would never have suspected that the lack of a digital input would make it show up as a CRT. How confusing!

Jim

Danoh 02:14 21 Jan 06

I'm sure the programmer for the SIS Utility thought it would be helpful to indicate analogue = CRT, etc. Probably 'case at that time, all LCD only had digital connections.

Jim Thing 17:17 21 Jan 06

Im now seeing a noticeable improveemt thanks to a combination of (a) selecting the monitor's default resolution, (b) introducing Cleartype and (c) messing about with text and icon sizes.

I guess any remaining problems are probably due partly to poor eyesight and partly to Proview so I'll tick the box.

Many thanks
Jim

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017