TFT Monitor not showing photographs properly.

Shelly49 22:55 13 Mar 08

Before you think I have it in for Novatech, I don't…they have always been fine so far.
I have just bought a new computer and a SAMSUNG SM2232BW 22" Wide Screen LCD TFT, 2ms, DC3000:1 Contrast ratio, DVI-D, both from Novatech. The monitor was chosen by me after reading various reviews, see this one for example:
click here
Although provided by Novatech, it was not part of the computer package. It was £217.38 extra. The graphics card is a nVidia 8600GT 512MB PCI-E and the computer is a Novatech Isys Elite Pro built around an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Dual Core Processor on a Nvidia MCP73 Chipset MicroATX motherboard. It is all brand new, came with a new installation of Windows XP (preferred to Vista for compatibility reasons) and works fine. No problems with the Novatech Isys Elite Pro PC.

I now realise that all my precious digital photographs, particularly those showing cloud formations and other highly detailed very light areas which were perfect on my old CTX PR960F 19" CRT top of the range monitor, (now ageing and on its last legs) are useless on my new Samsung TFT. All light areas are a mass of orange and/or pink and/or greeny blue glare characteristic of intense or excessive contrast and completely obscuring the detail, especially in the clouds. Same files, totally different images.
After spending hours calibrating and using every conceivable combination of monitor and software settings, and being still unable to get rid of this glare, I wrote to Novatech to explain what I had discovered, how I had tried to eradicate the problem and to generally complain, asking for a replacement but they have told me that I am demanding too much from the monitor, that it is not meant for serious photography but "for office work, light photography and games", and to return it at my expense for a reduced refund, I quote, "minus a £15-20 restock fee as this will need to be tested, cleaned and repackaged before we can resell this."
They suggested that "For a high quality 22 inch monitor for the kind of photography you are doing I would not expect to pay less than £300 to £400 pounds" and that I should "shell out a serious amount of money, or go for an Apple 30 inch display".
I would also add that my friend, who took the photos, says that the same image files do not produce any such problems on his laptop.
The monitor is being returned to Novatech on Monday.

I would be very glad if someone on this forum who enjoys photography of the emitted light variety (monitor viewing) as opposed to reflective light type (photographs) could offer me some advice as to what sort of monitor I should acquire, and what sort of monitor other meteorological amateur or even professional photographers might use.
I was about to buy a decent digital camera but I am glad I haven't now, although having said that I cannot believe that there are not others out there who want to view their photographs on screen without losing any of the detail or quality of the image.

citadel 23:14 13 Mar 08

have a look at the 24.1 eizo sz410wk-uk at scan.co.uk this costs £963 but it will give you an idea of the features to look for in the tech specs.

john bunyan 00:12 14 Mar 08

Shelly49. I had a Iilyama 15" Pro crt monitor (Still have it in the shed) since about 1996 to about 2006. I then switched to a NEC Multisync 90GX2 TFT monitor with little discernable difference on old photos. I use Photoshop CS3 and although an amateur,find the monitor acceptable and had little trouble in seting it up. Not sure if it is still current, but I would have thought there are quite a few good 19" or 20" TFT monitors out there from NEC, Iilama (?spelling). I have a Nvidia 7800GTX video card - more than enough for still photos. Maybe worth trying to borrow a riends decent TFT to see if the problem persists.

DieSse 02:07 14 Mar 08

If your friends laptop will display the pictures OK - then either your monitor or your graphics card is incorrectly set up, or faulty.

Can you try your monitor on your friends laptop? - They usually have a suitable output - then you'll get a direct comparison between your monitor and his laptop monitor, with all other aspects being identical.

That would be very informative as to where the problem may be.

I think their comments are plain wrong, and you should be getting a decent picture with what you have now.

ened 06:55 14 Mar 08

I have to say I am very surprised by the comments from Novatech.

You should not need to spend large amounts of money in order to view your pictures correctly and, as DieSse says it could be the card or the monitor.

Can you try a different monitor with the new machine?

Failing that try the monitor on another machine.

It definitely sounds as though something is not quite right and if it is the monitor you should not have to pay anything in order for it to be replaced.

hastelloy 07:11 14 Mar 08

and have no problems viewing my photographs. I would agree with DieSse.

eedcam 07:34 14 Mar 08

Shelley are these images all Colour if so how does it handle Greyscale images.Do they also have the same problem.

Rigga 08:56 14 Mar 08

Why not post an example image here > click here < then give us the link. Others may be able to see the problems you describe.

R.

hssutton 09:10 14 Mar 08

Even a basic LCD monitor should display your photos reasonably well. Have not checked as to which model the Samsung, but if it's the "Pebble" range, then it should display your photos very well indeed. I know of a number of photographers who use the "Pebble" monitors

You say you have tried every conceivable way of calibrating this monitor. Obviously the best way is to use such as the Pantone Huey or the Colourvision Spyder, but these do cost money, although well worth the investment.

What I would suggest is that you download this software which is excellent. If this does not correct your problem then you must look elsewhere for the problem. Faulty monitor/graphics card.

Why not an email to Samsung with a copy of Novatech's statement. I think they would be very pleased to hear that their monitors are no good for displaying photos.

I'm a photographer and use TFT for my photo editing, using CS3 and Lightroom. For calibration I use the Spyder, but prior to this I used the Monitor Calibration Wizard

john bunyan 09:11 14 Mar 08

I agree with the others , especially Rigga and DieSse. If you want it you would be very welcome to my CRT Iilama Pro - still in original box!

hssutton 10:39 14 Mar 08

Senile decay is starting to set in :)

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…