TFT monitor display query

CurlyWhirly 27 Jan 11

My TFT monitor has been like this ever since I bought it a couple of years ago.

The problem doesn't seem to be getting any worse but I'm just curious as to what causes it !

What happens is that when it's cold (i.e. after first switching it on). I get a vertical mix of black and green lines -

click here

click here

After aprox 10 minutes these lines just fade into oblivion.

A curious thing is that when I use the Windows magnifier, the mouse pointer is obscured by the lines but isn't visible in the magnified part of the screen !

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 27 Jan 11

Try reinstalling or updating the graphics drivers

CurlyWhirly 27 Jan 11

Ok I'll try that, cheers.

CurlyWhirly 27 Jan 11

I've now updated my drivers from those dated 14/7/2009 to a more recent version ( 7/1/2011 ) but I don't know if it has worked or not as I will need to switch my PC on from cold not a restart as the monitor has already warmed up !

CurlyWhirly 28 Jan 11

No luck I'm afraid as it doesn't appear to be a driver issue - I'll just have to live with it !

GaT7 28 Jan 11

Did you buy it new? If yes, it should still be under warranty - most TFTs (incl Dells) have a 3-year warranty. G

CurlyWhirly 28 Jan 11

Yes it was bought new and it's a Dell TFT monitor.

It's around 2 years old.

Regarding the warranty, I'm not sure what I have to do?

I don't really want to send it back as it's the only monitor I've got besides the green and black lines always disappear once the monitor warms up !

GaT7 28 Jan 11

'....besides the green and black lines always disappear once the monitor warms up !'

Sorry, missed that bit!

Next time you buy a monitor consider PCBuyIt click here. Most of their monitors (& all the Dell ones) come with a pixel-perfect guarantee for the full 3 years warranty, & next-day delivery for a good replacement.

From one of their Dell monitors click here:

"All of our Dell monitors are sold with a pixel perfect guarantee for the duration of the warranty period, in the unlikely event your monitor has ANY pixel defect we will arrange for the monitor to be replaced next working day,...."

Can't ask for more that that! G

CurlyWhirly 28 Jan 11

Yes I'll bear that site in mind when I plan on buying a new monitor.

Just out of curiosity do you know what causes the green and black lines ?

It can't be a driver issue.

robin_x 28 Jan 11

Faulty/dry (domed) capacitors, dodgy solder joint?

Have a look if you fancy opening it up.

My old monitor had similar warm up problems.
Scrolling problem not lines.
But I could cure it temporarily by squeezing the plastic monitor bezel from palm of hand to fingertips (imagine gripping a garden fence)

I never did get round to looking at it, my brother had a spare monitor.
Ask friends and family if budget is tight.
Or work. Computer Admin may have old monitors in a cup board somewhere.

CurlyWhirly 28 Jan 11

Thanks for the advice about opening my monitor up and seeing if I can see a problem.

I'll also try squeezing the monitor (gently) next time it happens ;)

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message