TFT Monitor Arm - any users out there?

fitshase 10:17 14 Oct 06

Since I am working from home a lot more, I am becoming more and more aware of ergonomics.

I use a work laptop which I control through my desktop machine by Remote Desktop (Win XP) so I can benefit from my 19" TFT monitor and separate keyboard.

However, I am now looking at one of these TFT Monitor arms to clamp to the desk and mount the monitor on it. It should make it easier to adjust the monitor to the correct position easier.

Does anyone have any experience of the? I was looking at a few different ones:-

Kensington at Dabs: click here

Fellowes at various retailers: click here

Newlink at various retailers: click here

Any comments / experiences?

Cheers

Belatucadrus 10:41 14 Oct 06

They all seem to have "Three height levels" but what are they ? While the NEWlink is clearly the best value the range of elevation looks much lower than the Kensington. As ergonomic advice is to have the screen at eye level, a good idea would be to work out what elevation you need to achieve this and check that this is within the support arms range.
Some ergonomics pages click here
click here
I went through a phase where I had real back trouble and I've used a monitor riser ever since and never regretted it.

fitshase 16:38 14 Oct 06

Cheers for the comments and links.

The height adjustment is the important one as I work a lot from home but my wife also uses the computer a lot on an evening (and she is significantly smaller than me). At the moment, the monitor is too low for me but about the right height for her.

I am getting more and more tempted by the Kensington due to it's range of movement. The Fellowes one specifies 6 push button adjustments which has put me off. The Newlink one also looks limited.

Stuartli 17:05 14 Oct 06

When using any type of display screen, TV or monitor, it should be slightly below eye level to avoid eye strain.

fitshase 20:48 16 Oct 06

I ordered the Kensington one from Amazon on Saturday night and it arrived this afternoon (how's that for service - I only selected their standard first class delivery!).

Anyway, installed it and all is well. The monitor is better positioned and it has the ability to rotate 90degs each way as well. I've downloaded the latest software for the graphics card and this enables me to rotate the display - excellent for web surfing and Word documents.

The footrest should arrive tomorrow and then I'm off for the wrist rests!

Cheers for the advice everyone.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:08 16 Oct 06

I'm pleased I found this thread, one of those would be just the thing for my partner and I.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…