//some 3rd party need geo

TFT monitor

big staff 18:30 05 Feb 03

Hi Guys, I've just purchased a tft/lcd monitor and I'm thrilled except for one niggle. When scrolling down it flickers and is hard on the eyes. My crt 17" didn't do this. Can this be cured by installing a better graphics card? I'm using intel 810 embedded chip ( cheapy!)
Any help would be appreciated.

Djohn 18:58 05 Feb 03

big staff, Which make/model of monitor, and what settings do you have? IE: refresh and resolution.

BrianW 19:50 05 Feb 03

You will see this effect more than you did on your CRT. You do eventually get used to it (leastwise - I have). If you have the option, connect via a DVI connection as this improves things a bit. Its largely to do with the switch rate of your transistors in your screen. If you have a slower screen (like mine at 40 ms) it is more noticeable than with some of the newer, faster (25 ms or so) screens. Set your screen to the native resolution and refresh rate (1024X768 and 60 hz is usual for 15 inch TFT) and you will get the best result. Go for a better graphics card with DVI if your PC and screen will allow.

big staff 14:34 06 Feb 03

Djohn, It is a Proview 568 new last week from Currys. I tried both 800/600 and 1024/768 at optimal refresh, which I think is 60hz with the Intel chip. It's the same on both.
BrianW, I was thinking of installing a PCI graphics card (No AGP slot) but what is DVI and how will I know before I buy if my PC and screen will allow?
Thanks Guys.

Djohn 14:45 06 Feb 03

Proview 568 is a good monitor and the recommended settings are 1024x768 at 60hz.

DVI, is "Digital video interface", and your monitor does not have this connection. Usually it is only found on the more expensive monitors, but you would also need a graphic card with the same out put as well.

I don't think this would alter what you are seeing anyway, Although a better graphic card should help. Regards J.

Djohn 14:49 06 Feb 03

PS sorry, I've just noticed that you do not have an AGP slot, so this does alter things, and you need a little more advice than I can give, before you purchase a new card. Don't worry someone will be able to help out. J.

MartinT-B 14:49 06 Feb 03

DVI is Digital Video Interface and if it appears as part of your graphics card you should be fine IF your monitor supports it. Not all of them do.

Look at your monitor manual, I searched for Proview 568 with google, 1 result in Russian!
A search on the Currys site didn't bring up proview at all!

If your MoBo(motherboard) doesn't have an AGP slot then I assume an older model. AGP is faster than PCI and we are now on AGP8x which is 8 times faster than AGP.

Depending on PC use, you might consider a new Mobo.

MartinT-B 14:51 06 Feb 03

sorry. crossed post.

Djohn 15:01 06 Feb 03

MartinT-B, no problem the more help the better. J.

big staff 15:05 06 Feb 03

Djohn, MartinT-B,
Thanks again, I have looked around and can get a Gforce MX400 64MB PCI for £48. Suppose it dosen't cure the said problem, what in your opinions will it do? I don't use games, just general surfing, digi camera, mp3 etc. Will it make the picture better and therefore not be a total waste of money? Although it is PCI, surely it will be better than the Intel chip, or will it!!

Djohn 15:12 06 Feb 03

big staff, sorry I don't know the answer to that one. I would think it will be better, but thats all i can say.

If you at a later date move up to a different PC or motherboard, they will have an AGP slot and your new card will not fit this slot, although it will still fit in one of the PCI slots, but you will be losing a lot of the graphic performance that the new sys, is capable of. J

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…