TFT and Graphics card

Tempest1 09:44 16 Nov 04

I have just changed my graphic to a 6800gt and now have ghosting on my monitor(very apparent on text).he monitor os a Sony SDMHS73 with a 25ms response.Is it this response coupled with the graphics that is causing the problem as the monitor is fine on on a machine running a 5900xt.If this is the case I've been looking at a viewsonic tft( 17" ViewSonic VX715) on MicroDirect any opinions please.

SEASHANTY 10:11 16 Nov 04

Did you remove the drivers for the old Graphics card before installing the new ones?
click here
also another click here

Tempest1 10:15 16 Nov 04

Seashanty
It had been a clean install so there were no drivers in place for the graphics card(XP Pro).I am wondering if the problem is the card and the monitors response rate, as I said it works fine on another system.

SEASHANTY 10:24 16 Nov 04

also some FAQ's on drivers
click here

SEASHANTY 10:38 16 Nov 04

Sorry Tempest1 I posted the latter before reading your post - hadn't updated the page. I find Graphics cards a real pain. A 9600TX (Specially made for Medion by MSI) failed within 10 minutes of use. Replaced with 9500 Pro which still not working
correctly. Sorry but don't know if a new TFT with faster response time will solve the problem. Trial and error I suppose.

Tempest1 10:52 16 Nov 04

Thanks for the reply, guess I'll hang around and see if any more info comes through.

Djohn 11:04 16 Nov 04

A faster response time will not cure ghosting on text. Generally ghosting is the trails left on screen from a fast moving game or movie. If your text is not showing up clean and sharp it may be one of two reasons.

1) you have the wrong resolution for the size of your screen. Usually, [Not always] the correct resolution is as follows.

19" and 17" TFT 1280x1024. 15" TFT 1024x768. If you move away from these native resolutions then the quality of your display will deteriorate.

2) the Focus or clock timing of your display may need adjusting. This can be done from the monitor itself by using the buttons on the front or side. Try clicking on the "Reset" button, see if that helps.

Tempest1 11:25 16 Nov 04

Djohn
The resolution is set correctly and I have tried the reset button but there is no difference.The ghosting(or shadow) is evident on the desk top icons as well.Is it poss the the issue I mentioned before or could the monitor be on the way out?Strange it works on another sytem Thought with no ghosting.

Djohn 12:48 16 Nov 04

If the monitor is working OK on another system or on the same system but with a different graphic card then I think we can safely say it is a conflict with the card and that particular monitor.

You mention above that you did not need to remove the previous drivers before installing the new card. There must have been some form of driver there though for the card to work. Was it working from the basic XP drivers already installed or from the previous cards drivers?

If from the previous cards drivers, then these must be removed from device manager first. If from XP's own drivers then leave as is. Install the card and once up and running go into display properties and install the new drivers from the CD supplied with the card. To do this. Right click on your desktop, choose properties/settings/advanced/adapter/properties/driver/update driver.

This will bring up a wizard. place a dot in the line "No, not this time" click on next and place a dot in "Install from a specific location (Advanced)". Place a dot in the "Search for the best driver in these locations", place a tick in "Include in the search". Now use the "Browse button to navigate to the CD drive where your CD is, containing the driver for your new card. click on the correct drive to highlight it and it will now appear in the browse window of your wizard. Click on next. and the correct driver will install.

Tempest1 14:54 16 Nov 04

Djohn
Sorry lunch called

The card was working of windows xp drivers as I had just rebuilt and it was a brand new hard drive and install.I have also tried the latest driver of the nVidia site but end up with the same result.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…