TFT - does DVI make much of a difference?

AdeJ 20:08 17 Jun 03

I'm feeling that upgrade itch again and am looking at TFT displays (need more room on my desk to pile junk on). It surprises me that a fair proportion of even the latest models only have analogue connection - does DVI (I have a dual card) make a significant enough difference to discount all these?

microswift 21:09 17 Jun 03

DVI connection does make a difference, in theory it should produce a better display, if you have a DVI connection it gives you the option of running a dual display, plus with a DVI connection you dont have to do any adjusting with the OSD as it's all done for you.

BrianW 21:22 17 Jun 03

Ive tried my 17 TFT with analogue and DVI, my experience is, yes it does make a difference.

Chris the Ancient 21:35 17 Jun 03

When I went from crt to tft, my whole world opened up. The crispest, sharpest display I had ever seen. Wow, no more crt work for me (gave my 17" desk-cluttering lump it to the wife).

So, microswift and Brian W, how has DVI made it even better? What effects etc. make ny nice desk-space-saving,easy-to-look-at screen even better in DVI as opposed to analog.

Convince me as to why I need a graphics card with a DVI interface card. (And I might)

Chris

microswift 21:50 17 Jun 03

The DVI connection gives a digital to digital signal without digital to analogue and analogue to digital conversion, you get a cleaner signal and the display is automatically adjusted to optimum.

Chris the Ancient 21:54 17 Jun 03

You can call me dense (and will) but my display seems so clean and optimum. Can it *really* be that much noticeably better? It looks as close to perfection as I've ever seen any display!

Chris

Djohn 22:01 17 Jun 03

I'm with you on this one. I too have a 17" TFT, (analogue connection), If the text was any sharper I would cut my fingers! As for the manual set-up, never heard of it! Analogue TFT's auto tune each time you switch on, about 1.5 seconds.

There is no need for adjustment of any kind, the picture/display is spot-on from corner to corner, no fiddling with any controls whatsoever.

After saying the above, I must admit I have not compared side by side, I have seen both types of connection in the shops, but again, at different times, unable to tell from that experience. All I can say is, if there is a difference, then it is a small one. j.

Chris the Ancient 22:08 17 Jun 03

Aaah, I'm not alone.

When I have spare hour, I think I shall have to try it that way. I'll go to some very friendly local - but large(ish) - computer supplier and see if thee is any way to get a side by side comparison. Until then, I feel I'm probably staying analogue and spending the graphics card cash on things like wine and food (in that order).

And on that note, if I don't go now, the cat will have my dinner. That I can put up with, but no way is the cat having my next glass of Chateau Tesco!

Chris

microswift 22:19 17 Jun 03

I also have a 17" tft with analogue connection and auto adjust, a DVI connection will give a better display however slight, or it may not be so slight, I dont know If it would be that noticeable, I would always go for the DVI connection I just haven't got round to getting the cable yet, if you're happy with analogue connection (and why not) then stick with that.

AdeJ 22:20 17 Jun 03

...cos I'm discarding a most available monitors by going DVI!

Djohn 22:31 17 Jun 03

If I was given the choice now, and my graphics card had a DVI connection, then yes, I would use same. I think that in all technical test DVI is bound to be a cleaner signal, (No conversion), but whether one can really tell the difference just by looking, I don't know!

What I will say though, is don't cross a good analogue TFT off your list, just because it does not have a DVI connector. There are many more factors involved for a monitor to give a good display. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…