Text Reader Software

willyv 12:20 11 Apr 07

Hi there,
Can anyone recommend a free text reader which can convert pdf text to a word doc. Thanks, Hope I have explained that ok!

pj123 12:47 11 Apr 07

Sorry, not sure I understand what you mean.

If you can read and print a pdf document why would you want to convert it to a word doc, which will also let you read and print it?

Miros 12:55 11 Apr 07

This is a free PDF reader. click here

CLONNEN 13:10 11 Apr 07

Do you mean you want to convert the pdf into Word format so you can edit it?

Open the PDF in Adobe Reader and press Ctrl+A (or go to Edit - Select All) and then copy all text by pressing Ctrl+C (or go to Edit - Copy).

Then open a new blank Word document and press Ctrl+V (or go to Edit - Paste) to paste the text. Then Save the Word document in the usual manner.

CLONNEN 13:12 11 Apr 07

The Foxit Reader doesn't have the Select All feature so you do need to use the Adobe Reader if you want to transfer the text en masse to another application.

john-232317 13:17 11 Apr 07

Foxit has free plugins, PDF Creator, PDF Editor, maybe that will be enough for you.

willyv 13:57 11 Apr 07

sorry if the message wasnt clear.
what i need is a program which will recognise text when i grab an image of text from a pdf. i believe this used to be called OCR. Its just i need to use some text from a pdf file which will not allow the cursor to select passages of text and can only copy images to the clipboard.
Is this any clearer. Thanks.

Miros 14:12 11 Apr 07

You could try here click here

GroupFC 14:21 11 Apr 07

"need to use some text from a pdf file which will not allow the cursor to select passages of text and can only copy images to the clipboard" - in which case the file is probably protected/locked to stop just that very thing!

CLONNEN 15:21 11 Apr 07

If the PDF isn't allowing you to select the text then all you can do is re-write it into Word yourself by manually typing it. Print out the PDF onto paper first - easier than switching between the PDF and Word.

willyv 16:08 11 Apr 07

thats what i guessed! i imagined that there may have been an easier way. shame tho because i got a new printer recently and consequently wiped all old printer software. in that bundle was a dated but moderately effective character reader. because the discs went with the printer the software is lost- cant even remember the name to trawl the recycle bin!!! cheers anyway all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5