Testing My PSU

Just_a_geek 10:01 24 Oct 07

Hi people, i'm new to the forums and I am currently havig a problem with my power supply.
I had this power supply running on a pc that I was too lazy to put enough standoffs on for the motherboard so it short circuited, now I'm looking to get brand new components but I am unsure whether to trust the psu.
Basically I want to know that this psu wont kill a load of new components, so I tested it with a paperclip connecting a green wire (ground?) to a black wire and I managed to get the psu to light up, fans etc which had never happened before as I had a fragged mobo.
Now I know this method doesn't test the rails under full load at all, but do you think I can run this psu with a load of new components and them not die on me.
I posted this on another forum, just wanting to get some more opinions please.

Thanks a lot people,
Jack

P.S: The psu is a antec phantom 500w - it ways a tonne!

howard64 10:11 24 Oct 07

if this is more than a couple of years old it will not have the modern connections for a new motherboard. CPU's are relatively cheap so it is not worth the risk. If it is fairly new you could use a voltmeter to measure the voltage being put out to ensure no serious overvoltages or short circuits. This of course will not test what happens under full load conditions.

Just_a_geek 10:14 24 Oct 07

No this is a brand new psu it's just I saw this guide that said if you do the paperclip thing and it turns on it should be ok to use with your components.

Thanks mate,
Jack

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:31 24 Oct 07

The paper clip test just makes sure it switches on if it recieves the signal from the board.

the only real test is to load it up and check for current voltages and stability.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…