Testing hard drive on new computer?

Barnacarry 06:18 25 Nov 06

I recently purchased a bare bones system and after setting it up with XP Pro, motherboard and graphics card it started well but has since packed in. I can't even get the monitor to work and the base unit just starts with the fan going but nothing else which leads me to believe that I've messed up the hard drive somehow. My question is, can I take the hard drive from my old computer and put it into the new one, which has different components, to test or will it mess up this hard drive as well?

aca 07:46 25 Nov 06

The fact that the monitor doesnt work suggests to me a fault with either the graphics card or the motherboard. Are you able to swap in an alternative card or start with onboard graphics to test.

If it were the hard drive I would have thought you would have something on your monitor.

Sure others with more knowledge than me will be able to help

Gongoozler 08:05 25 Nov 06

Do you get a POST beep? If not unplug everything from the motherboard except the processor with it's heat sink, the power supply, case speaker, power switch. That should give an error beep. If not, then the problem is with one of the few remaining components.

Barnacarry 11:05 25 Nov 06

Hi, aca: I have tried booting with the graphics card in and out but still a blank screen. My thought was that by trying my existing hard drive in the new case it might show me if it was the motherboard?

Hi, Gongoozler: I do not get a POST beep at all. I did when I first put it together and installed XP. At the moment all that is connected is the motherboard and again nothing happens apart from the processor fan working; no beeps and no screen. If I put the hard drive (40gb) in from my old machine, which works quite well in a 1999 Time machine with an 800mhz AMD processor, and it worked then that wouldn't this point to the hard disk on the new system packing up? This is the first time I've attempted to build one of these and I'm really getting out of my depth.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:15 25 Nov 06

You will probably get same result.

Incorrect drivers in XP on other drive may not allow machine to boot.

Try booting with just cpu, graphics card, 1 stick of memeory. Should boot to and error message about cannot find drives.

TRy resetting the BIOS to default settings by removing the battery for 10 minutes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced