Testing a hard drive backup

surreyfrog1 11:21 04 Nov 08

Hi there

after a mini-scare with my laptop I have bought an external hard drive for backing up the system,

The drive came with Nero backitup 2, which I used to create a backup of my entire c drive.

My question is - given that I don't know how reliable the Nero backup software is, can I test it to see if it will actually do a successful restore?

Many thanks

Technotiger 11:34 04 Nov 08

Hi, I have had a quick Google re your question, but all I can find are items saying how reliable Nero Backitup is etc etc, but have not seen any unbiased opinions/reviews, nor could I see anything about testing your Archive.

Acronis, which I use, does have a Testing ability, to check the integrity of the backup.

surreyfrog1 08:37 05 Nov 08

Ah, thanks for that. I hadn't realised it might be possible to verify a backup, without actually doing a restore from it.

Turns out that the free version of backitup doesn't have the facility to verify a backup. But I found a free piece of software tyat does, it's Paragon Express, which I have just tried - it is faster than Nero and allowed me to verify the backup it made. I shall be sticking to that!

Thanks again

Technotiger 09:08 05 Nov 08

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…