Testing

denali 16:17 20 Dec 03

Could anyone tell me, please, if it is possible to test a tower unit with just the fan inside?
I have been given this, but before I spend money on building it up I want to make sure the thing works

Thanks

Jester2K II 16:39 20 Dec 03

Please explain further. What EXACTLY do you want to test? A Tower Unit with "just a fan inside" would just test the fan..

And if it hasn't got a PSU the fan won't work either. Unless it's the Tower Bridge, in which case press the 'Open' button and see if it lifts up.

Valvegrid 17:52 20 Dec 03

If you mean test the power supply with nothing connected, be careful, although the fan in the power supply will work, the type of power supplies in computers don't like being run without a load connected like the mother board and other bits and pieces. These should be connected to avoid damage to the PSU.
The reason is, high voltages can be generated within the switching transistors when there is no load, which they are not designed for, resulting in them being distroyed.

Paul.

denali 19:00 22 Dec 03

Valvegrid
Jester2K II
[email protected]@m
Thank you all for your responces, I have been a bit tied up, (Christmas shopping)

I will follow the "put something else in" advise
and add Psu and graphics card and see how it goes

Again. Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…