Test motherboard without GPU or HDD

MassiveEwok 13:46 28 Apr 15

I was wondering if anyone can help. I am building a PC and I have everything other then the graphics card or the hard drive. Installing the heatsink was a huge pain and I'm a little worried I put too much pressure on the CPU when installing. Also I think I put on too much thermal paste, I put on the correct amount initially however we had to take it off for a while and my friend (who I'm starting to think may not have known what he was talking about) said I should put on a little more so it gets a good seal on it (which I don't think is the point of thermal paste but whatever). Anyway I was wondering if there was a way to test everything is working and undamaged without building the whole thing (which would mean waiting a month). Also is it a good idea to take off the heatsink and check the thermal paste situation. Thanks for any help!

robin_x 16:32 28 Apr 15

How to apply thermal paste

Only you can decide if you need to re-do it.

If your motherboard has onboard graphics, you can connect that or see if you can get a cheap £10 graphics card from somewhere.

You can run a Linux Live DVD or USB Flash without a hard drive.

I'd suggest you download Ubuntu iso on another computer and burn to DVD (right click the iso) or put it on USB Flash stick 4GB+ (8GB+ better) with Universal USB Installer

Set persistent memory and it will use spare space on Flash stick like a hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…