Tesco.com - problems

ened 16:58 16 Nov 04

November 7 I telephoned Tesco Customer Services and told them they had a problem which they denied. I was in front of my machine and she eventually reluctantly admitted they did indeed have a problem. This afternoon I tried again with the same problem. Tesco Customer Services said I have a virus. I have just run Trend Micro and do not appear to have a virus. They have sent me a mail. Does anybody know about this: click here.?
Is anybody else experiencing problems with the Tesco site?

Gongoozler 17:06 16 Nov 04

Hi ened. I've had no problems with the Tesco.com website, although I use it mostly for the Tesco Finance side of their business. The Cool Web browser hijackings are fairly common and CoolWebShredder usually does a good job of sorting it. Unfortunately the auther of CWS has had to give up maintaining it due to other commitments. If you can give us more details of the problem we may be able to help you track down the cause.

Gongoozler 17:21 16 Nov 04

Hi ened. If your computer works ok in all other respects, then I think it's most likely a problem at the Tesco end. One other possibility is that you've changed your browser settings. I had a problem with the Tesco car insurance site, and this turned out to be because I changed to Mozilla Firefox and popups were being blocked by default. I changed that and the site worked ok. The fact that you've seen the van is no proof that the site is working. The delivery slot can be booked well in advance.

ened 17:21 16 Nov 04

I just typed a long list of the symptoms then hit the wrong button.
The bottom line is that I use Tesco for Groceries and nothing works on that page. I can book a delivery slot but when I try to change any quantities or add an item to the basket it ignores it. I do get the hand as though it wants to but it doesn't work.
I was fairly sure I didn't have a virus and I would assume that an online scan is the most up-to-date check.
Their site must be working for some people because I saw their delivery van today.

Gongoozler 17:24 16 Nov 04

How did that happen! My second posting was written in reply to your second posting, and so should appear below it :-))

ened 17:33 16 Nov 04

I've just experimented with the Ebuyer site and it works fine.
The rest of my machine is behaving itself so it would appear the problem is at their end.
I am reluctant to use the link Tesco sent me because I do not like to put unnecessary stuff in my machine.
I am going to mail them and after that it is their loss as we have just had a Morrisons open up in our town!

ened 17:35 16 Nov 04

I noticed that but didn't want to say anything in case it was me!!

Gongoozler 17:48 16 Nov 04

CoolWebShredder is a good peice of software. It doesn't install on your machine, but runs from the exe file that you can put into any folder. It does a good job of sorting many of the variants of CoolWebSearch, which are mainly home page hijackers. Running it can do no harm and would at least reassure you that you have none of the known versions of CoolWebSearch. You can then remove CoolWebShredder, or just save it to a removeable disk for future use.

ened 18:55 16 Nov 04

and the problem still remains.
Thankyou Gongoozler for your comments. I might not have solved it but at least I have confirmed the problem lies with them.
Since they must be losing untold amounts of business wouldn't you have thought they would have found a way around this sooner?

Gongoozler 19:22 16 Nov 04

Sorry ened, I didn't read the Sienna College page carefully enough. CWShredder was a superb cleaning tool developed by a Dutch student Merijn Bellekom click here. Unfortunately for us when he completed his doctorate and had to start "working for a living" he could no longer spend enough time on his "hobby" of constantly updating CWShredder to keep pace with the variants of CWSearch click here.
Fortunately CWShredder has now been taken on by Intermute who hopefully have the resources to continue the battle against this nasty computer hijacker.
CWShredder downloads as CWSInstall.exe, but all it appears to do is to unpack itself as C:\Program Files\InterMute\SpySubtract\CWShredder.exe. It doesn't appear to register itself or to take up any system resources. The only other thing it does is to put a shortcut on the desktop. Removing it should only consist of deleting the folder and shortcut. You can download CoolWebShredder fronm here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…