Terrible download speeds on wireless connection

dave_the_red 01:48 07 Oct 07

I am very new to setting up wireless networks but decided to set one up so that my girlfriend and I can both use the internet/play games at the same time. I have a speedtouch585 router sat upstairs with my main pc attached by cable. I now have a second pc downstairs with a wireless card in and after much frustration managed to get it connected to the network. The problem is that I am getting download speeds of 2kb/s on the 2nd pc. It is not the wireless connection as the signal strength is always "excellent" and am connected at 54mbps pretty much all the time. Even if the pc upstairs is turned off and hence not using any bandwidth the speed is still the same.

Does anybody have any ideas on what could be causing this ?

Thanks

ambra4 02:54 07 Oct 07

“The problem is that I am getting download speeds of 2kb/s”

It has nothing to do with the line speed or download speed the standard wireless system is set to transfer data at 54Mbps even if you have a 200 Mbps line

The normal connect speed on a laptop build in wireless card or USB adapter is 54Mbps on older laptops with build in wireless cards the connect speed is 11Mbps

With a hard wire system the LAN card runs at 100Mbps

If you want a higher transfer rate you have to buy one of the new 108Mbps wireless router, and a 108Mbps wireless card or 108Mpbs USB Adapter for each wireless device you want to connect at that speed

dave_the_red 09:06 07 Oct 07

Sorry I should have made it more plain. I am getting "internet" download speeds of 2kb/s . I am on on an 8mb line and on the pc upstairs my download speeds are fine.

The network transfer rates are fine :)

dave_the_red 10:12 07 Oct 07

Problem now appears to be solved, the channel selection was set to Auto and that appeared to be causing problems, have now set the network to a fixed channel and everything seems fine for now.

Dipso 17:13 08 Oct 07

The auto chanel selection for these routers doesn't seem to pick the best channel in your area...I had to do the same as you and change the channel to 8 for my wireless internet to work at full speed.

ambra4 16:49 23 Oct 07

Tick box and click solved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…