Terminal???

tich101 15:54 PM 25 Apr 12

Hi HP Pavillion DV6-1210sa has given up. When I press the on button the lights come on for a couple of seconds then off again. New battery, charger ok. I have had an overheating problem which appears to be a major problem with HP notebooks. My question is, if it has overheated is it terminal and will I need a new notebook? Certainly wouldn`t get another HP! If it is fixable I would think it would cost the earth, so not financialy worth fixing. Regards Tich

lotvic 16:04 PM 25 Apr 12

You could try the steps on ClickHere for fixing the overheating problem. It probably shuts down before/to stop any damage to the CPU if the fan has failed or is clogged up.

tich101 16:16 PM 25 Apr 12

Thanks for your reply. The notebook is cold but still shuts down straight away when started. Please excuss me if this is a daft question but surely if the notebooks cold and it still shuts down immediately it hasn`t had time to get hot.

robin_x 16:26 PM 25 Apr 12

I think 2 seconds is a bit quick too. But overheating and auto shutdown can happen later during boot.

The processor is doing lots then.

Maybe possible if heatsink was no longer in contact with processor or paste dried out.

Another thing to check:

Is it the same on mains only? (Battery removed)

finerty 17:37 PM 25 Apr 12

laptop support

i use one of these for my laptop and it works wonders.

tich101 19:35 PM 25 Apr 12

Yep. Same on mains only

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…