Temporary Internet Folders

ChrisP 01:58 22 Jun 05

I frequently clear out all temporary internet files from my computer. Windows Explorer reveals a significant number of folders under Content.IE5 which have alphanumeric names but apparently no content. Email attachments appear to be in one of these folders, but the exact folder (revealed by going to File|Properties while the attachment is open) doesn't appear in Windows Explorer. There are also a lot of TIFs with names with a long string of alphanumeric characters with curly brackets at beginning and end. Again these seem to have nothing in them. Can I delete all of these withour harm? How can I find my email attachments in Windows Explorer?

ChrisP 23:53 23 Jun 05

Re-listed as I really would like some comment on this, please.

Filch 12:37 24 Jun 05

Delete them.

ChrisP 14:25 24 Jun 05

Thanks. I suspected as much. I have a Freeware Program called EmptyTempFolders which is excellent for removing files but doesn't touch the folders which seem to accumulate. Does anyone know a program to remove folders as well or is it a manual job?

I still can't find the folders which appear to hold my email attachments. Going to Properties gives a folder name but the folder can't be found by using any Search strategy i know. I have all hidden folders already visible so it is not that! Any clues, please? Do these attachments just accumulate for ever as I seem to be able to read attachments on emails which I received some good time ago. Normal temp files would have been remove by EmptyTempFiles.

ChrisP 23:14 24 Jun 05

Any more comments, please?

ChrisP 11:32 26 Jun 05

I seem to choose the wrong time of day for this!

Joe R 11:37 26 Jun 05

ChrisP,

this will clean all your temp files, ( and anything else you need ).

click here

sznntylr 13:25 26 Jun 05

ChrisP, I am not sure about Content.IE5, I thought they were files required by the system in case you need to uninstall & reinstall IE. To find your email files in Outlook Express:-

Tools> Options: Maintainance tab> Store Folder, highlight folder location then press CTRL+C. Cancel> Cancel to close dialog boxes.

Click Sart> Run, in box press CTRL+V>OK. Edit menu, select all you can now either click copy & put into a folder you make on a drive for this purpose for back-up. or delete all if you are sure.

A good place for info is click here

sznntylr 13:26 26 Jun 05

ChrisP, I am not sure about Content.IE5, I thought they were files required by the system in case you need to uninstall & reinstall IE. To find your email files in Outlook Express:-

Tools> Options: Maintainance tab> Store Folder, highlight folder location then press CTRL+C. Cancel> Cancel to close dialog boxes.

Click Sart> Run, in box press CTRL+V>OK. Edit menu, select all you can now either click copy & put into a folder you make on a drive for this purpose for back-up. or delete all if you are sure.

A good place for info is click here

Filch 21:11 26 Jun 05

You can delete the folders in Content.IE5, but OE will reinstall them. So just delete the files in the folders. To cut down on the number of folders, in IE clock on t
Tools, Internet Options, under Gereral click the Settings box in Temporary Internet Files, move the sliding bar all the war to the left, this will give you 3 to 4 folders in Content.IE5/

ChrisP 00:10 27 Jun 05

Thanks to all who have responded.

I have moved the sliding bar even further to the left than it was and may seeone or two fewer folders. Thanks for this tip.

I think that the email files referred to by sznntylr are the emails thenselves. I have a folder called My Emails which accumulates these and from where I can make easy backups. My concern is with email attachments, e.g. Word files or similar sent with emails. When I look at the source of these attachments, they are being stored in a Folder in Content.IE5. So far, no problem. When I delete files using EmptyTempFolders (a good program, and free, by the way), I can see the Folder 'name' (a mixture of random digits and letters)and this is the same as that revealed by opening the attachement from OE. If, however, and this is what I do not understand, I look in Windows Explorer under Content.IE5, the folder name is missing and I cannot locate the file using any of the usual Search parameters. The Folder is not a conventional 'hidden' folder as I always have 'Show all folders' checked. So my question is, - why does Windows explorer not show all folders, and how can it be made to do so?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…