Temporary Internet Files win98se

Eraflooz 05:37 20 Dec 03

Hi guys...

I do not know when this started but when I use Disk Cleanup, it says that it removes the files but alas does not. There are files in the folder dating back to October 2, 2003.

I also use Norton Clean Sweep 2002 and it does the same thing...It says that it has removed the files but when I open Windows Explorer to look, sure enough there they are.

If I try to delete one of the alpha-numerically named folders it warns me of the dangers of deleting system folders. I can delete the files in groups I suppose...and then empty the recycle bin, but that is not the point! This utility is supposed to, and usually does, have a function!
The same goes for my cache of temp files in Opera. I just can't seem to get rid of this junk anymore and space is at a premium right now.

Please help 'o genius of forums!'

recap 08:42 20 Dec 03

A few of reasons why I personally don't use third party utilities for this kind of operation:

a) they don't always do what it say on the tin

b) they take up system resources

c) I can do it myself knowing that they have been deleted.

If you are not sure whether it is totally safe to delete a file/folder completely from your system, just place it in the Recycle Bin and keep it there for a week or so. This way if you get errors you can safely restore the file/folder.

velodrome 08:58 20 Dec 03

use cleanup it does the job and it's free. click here: click here

Diemmess 12:23 20 Dec 03

I feel there is nothing whatsoever that I need to keep in temporary internet files.........

So using W98SE (like you) I regularly go to Internet Options in Control panel, and select Settings, View files, Edit> select all, File> delete, and it's Bye Bye to the lot including cookies.

I also use Aol and though it stays with its own menus, it uses IE v 5 to store all those temporary files.

An old copy of Cybermedia Uninstaller still works but like most cleanup software plays it safe and leaves cookies untouched, though it does deal with the most glaring orphaned entries in the registry.

Stuartli 14:18 20 Dec 03

Go to IE's Tools>Options>Advanced tab and enable Empty Temporary Internet Files when browser is closed.

wee eddie 20:50 20 Dec 03

Then wait 20 minutes while your HDD does it's bit.

After your Temporary Internet Files and your Recycle bin. Now is the time to do a Defragment your HDD as well.

You'll end up with a rejuvenated PC

Stuartli 13:19 21 Dec 03

The temporary files I mention are actually deleted the next time you boot up......

I didn't forget anything - your circumstances must be different to mine.

Sheila-214876 14:30 21 Dec 03

Go to the PCA Download page and scroll down to Utilities, and select File Management and (on page 2) download PowerDesk v5. This is far superior than Windows Explorer. You can delete all the folders in Content.ie5. You cannot delete the index.dat from within Windows though, that has to be done in DOS. The default size for index.dat in Content.ie5 is 32kb. I usually delete mine when it reaches more than 2mb. The same goes for the index.dat file in the Cookies folder (although its default size is 16kb). I use a "batch file" given to me by a Forum member that does it all for me. If you want a copy email me and I will forward it to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…