Temporary Internet Files: Necessary Junk ?

Alan Ryan 16:28 03 Jan 04

If I go into Disk Clean Up for C and select "View", I find a series of randomly numbered folders in which hundreds of items are stored every time I browse the web. I delete these from time to time as unnecessary clutter. By experiment, I found that a one minute visit to the BBC website to read the news headlines resulted in a collection of 89 files amounting to 231KB. This sounds a lot - because during an hour or two of browsing I'm accumulating a huge number of these files. Is there any adjustment to settings on Internet Options that will prevent this stuff piling up ?

VoG II 16:32 03 Jan 04

In IE, Tools/Internet Options, General tab, Settings button. Use the slider to adjust.

Alan Ryan 16:36 03 Jan 04

Thanks for your response. I have the slider set at 20MB: if this is too much, what figure do you suggest ?

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:38 03 Jan 04

Personally I would go for >5mbs.....you do not really need the files and a few Mbs is enough.

G

VoG II 16:40 03 Jan 04

20 MB should be fine.

Alan Ryan 16:45 03 Jan 04

I've reset the disk space to 5MB, as you suggest, and after I've cleared out today's accumulation of these files, I'll see how this much lower limit affects the number of items that get collected in future. Thanks.

Audeal 18:11 03 Jan 04

Go to Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > scroll down to the Security section and Tick " Empty Temporary Internet Files Folder When Browser Is Closed ".

Hope this helps.

Alan Ryan 08:30 04 Jan 04

Thanks for your advice: I've made the alteration you suggest in Internet Options and I can see now that this should solve the problem permanently.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…