Temporary Internet Files

xuroys 21:59 24 Jan 08

Help !! My computer is hiding my temporary inmternet files from me - when I click be shown the files all I'm shown is the desktop. I changed the location but still can't see anything. I tried the command line approach but still got nowhere.
Please help.

Technotiger 22:02 24 Jan 08

Go to My Computer, then double click on C: and then on WINDOWS folder then on Temp, you should then see all your Temp Files.

xuroys 00:31 25 Jan 08

If only it were that easy !! The folder is there but is empty, so is the one in Windows/System32/config/systemprofile.
I'm using an improved File Manager program which is very good for finding even hidden files but still these files are eluding me !!

MCE2K5 00:47 25 Jan 08

Have a look at this, click here

XP Pro Media Center 2005

tools>internet options>browsing history>settings>view files?

DieSse 01:34 25 Jan 08

Temporary Internet Files for IE on XP will be held at

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Where username is the username whose files you are looking for. There may be several sets if there are several users.

Firefox holds them in a different place.

If you have IE advanced settings set to delete temp internet files on exit from IE - you should only see cookies there if IE is closed.

The Temp file folders are different things entirely.

You can change the location of Temporary Internet Files - if you do, then clearly it will be where you've changed it to.

xuroys 11:32 25 Jan 08

I have done searches but they find a number of folders which are empty. The files should be in a folder at C:/Documents and Settings/my name/Temporary Internet Files but there's nothing there that I can discover. I tried to create a Temporary Internet Files folder at that location but got a message saying "Invalid folder name or path, or folder already exists".
There's no TIF folder under All Users and the one under Default User, Content.IE5, is also empty apart from a small file index.dat.
I have just used the IE7/Tools/Internet Options/General/Browsing History/Settings/Move Folder facility to move the folder yet again and according to the display it is where I wanted it to be but in fact, if it is really there, it is invisible !!
Clicking on View objects goes to a folder in Windows called Downloaded Program Files and clicking View files shows me the Desktop !!
HELPPPPP !!!!

keef66 11:47 25 Jan 08

Have you got IE set up so it automatically deletes the temp files when you shut it down??

DieSse 11:51 25 Jan 08

Have you been into Explorer - Tools - Folder Options - View and tick the boxe to "Show Hidden Files and Folders"

DieSse 11:52 25 Jan 08

Or - perhaps there really is nothing in there - why do you want to view them?

Les28 16:24 25 Jan 08

Perhaps you could download the free index.dat viewer from here wssetup.exe 0.8 MB

click here

see if that will find them, unless as mentioned you have the browser set to delete history etc at browser shutdown

I think to clear index.dat you are best to download the free Ccleaner and use that to delete index.dat at next bootime

click here

In Ccleaner Windows tab Internet Explorer take the tick out of index.dat then retick Index.dat, it will tell you that index.dat will be cleared at next boot.

To go one step further you can delete the user assist count keys in the registry as well, see this site

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…