Temporary Internet Files

Mclearns Bald 18:50 09 Oct 07

I've just deleted my 'TIF' folder. Which must have had about a few MBs of files and then had a look at the 'Properties'. It said that the size of the folder was 5.3GB and that there was 2,104 files and 87 folders. I also seleted 'View Hidden files and folders'in the options folder. Can someone please explain this anomaly?

rawprawn 19:07 09 Oct 07

Have you rebooted since deleting?

john bunyan 19:20 09 Oct 07

have you more than on "User"? I think the TIF folder may be in more than one place. Suggest a search in Windows Explorer for all files with name "Temporary internet files" on c drive.

wee eddie 21:05 09 Oct 07

Temporary Internet Files or was the Folder really called "TIF"?

One usually deletes the files but not the Folder and IE has a very efficient way of doing it.

There are other types of .tmp files which one can clear.

I would check what the content of your 'TIF' Folder really is, before you clear your Recycle Bin

Mclearns Bald 20:14 11 Oct 07

Yes I re-booted and the TIF is still the same size.
There is only one user and only one TIF.
Yes TIF is an acronym for Temporary Internet.

I will now go and download 'Ccleaner' and see if it makes any difference.

BTW I know that the following question will not solve my initial query, but just of of general interest: does any of the cache memory use up part of the virtual memory and would any of its contents go into either cookies or TIF?

Mclearns Bald 20:21 11 Oct 07

Cclear has done the job! Thanks Marg7.

Jak_1 20:24 11 Oct 07

It uses physical hdd space, it does not use memory neither virtual nor physical!
As a matter of interest, what method did you use to delete temp internet files? Also the space is only recovered after a re-boot.

Mclearns Bald 17:33 15 Oct 07

Jak_1 the method I used to delete temp internet files was to go into 'Local Settings' and open up TIF click on 'Edit', 'Select All' and press 'Delete' key.

john bunyan 17:42 15 Oct 07

Mclearns Bald.
If you dont use Ccleaner, while in Internet Explorer, go to "Tools" then "Internet Options" then "Delete" then Delete "Cookies" and/or "Temp Internet Files" and/or "History". Seems to work better tha deleting via Windows explorer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now