Temporary Internet Files

I caught a virus this afternoon and thankfully Norton AV got rid of it for me.

However, I was sat watching the scan take place and I was struck by the lenght of time it took to go through the Temporary Internet Files folder.

SO, I flashed up IE6 and set it to remove Temporary Interbnet Files. I haven't yet removed all the cookies for fear I've forgotton the odd password. I also got rid of all the History data.

However, when I looked on Windows Explorer I found that not all the Temporary Internet Files had been removed, and further that there was a HUGE folder labelled Temp that had dozens of sub-folders.

These all lay under the C:\Documenst & Settings\ Temp folder. Most of the files are small .txt files. For example most are of the type WER1.tmp.dir00 which I list below the file being called manifest.txt

Server=watson.microsoft.com
UI LCID=1033
Flags=123152
Brand=WINDOWS
TitleName=Microsoft Windows
DigPidRegPath=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
RegSubPath=Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting\DW
ErrorText=A log of this error has been created.
HeaderText=The system has recovered from a serious error.
Stage2URL=
Stage2URL=/dw/bluetwo.asp?BCCode=100000be&BCP1=F8399470&BCP2=027A1121&BCP3=8053E164&BCP4=0000000A&OSVer=5_1_2600&SP=1_0&Product=768_1
DataFiles=C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini051103-01.dmp|C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml
ErrorSubPath=blue

I have no idea what this file refers to. The sub-folder list goes on to WER4132.tmp.dir00 (this one contains two files of type MDMP referring to Iexplore.exe.mdmp.

Do these files serve any purpose? Can they be deleted?

Are they in any way related to the recent slowing down of my 3.04GHz P4 PC?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Diodorus Siculus 21:14 17 Jul 04

For the most part, you can delete anything in a temp folder that is older than the current time up of your machine.

Say you turned on the machine at 6am - anything that is a temp folder older than that can be deleted.

Within temp internet files, anything there can be deleted safely.

Within IE settings, set the cache at about 100Mb - less if you are on BB.

The Spires 23:52 17 Jul 04

If you want to zap all the junk, click here I have used it for a couple of months without any problems.

gudgulf 01:21 18 Jul 04

Or use click here which will shift all temporary files on your pc .Also free.

I d'l and ran the CCleaner from the link that The Spires posted.

It took just under a minute and removed 780MB of garbage!

Impressed I am!

The Spires 13:03 18 Jul 04

:-)

jimbobjim 19:50 29 Oct 04

Thanks for that one spires, computer runs a lot faster now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced