Temporary freeze up

Windsor 17:49 28 Jan 07

I have XP SP2. Just recently it has taken to freezing up for anything up to 20 secs then continues quite normally.

Any clues anyone??

Windsor

FreeCell 18:34 28 Jan 07

Windsor
Wish I could be responding with the solution but I have a desktop that has shown the same symptom for ages and I cannot find any cause. Computer freezes and then carries on as normal after a short time, 20 secs being typical. Sometimes on power up the first screen stick as though it freezes at that point before BIOS even completes. PC is a Philips Freeline running XP Home SP2.

I am convinced it is hardware related as the effect is like some component holding onto the CPU cycles for a period and then continuing. No data is ever lost, on video playback things carry on, downloads carry on through a freeze. All very strange. Had to do a rebuild of XP recently and the problem is still there so not convinced that the "restore" answer you may get will resolve it. Of course the cause of your problem may be entirely different to mine.

I posted on here middle of last year but no one responded so I will be interested in any you get.

Windsor 16:56 29 Jan 07

Thanks for your thoughts Freecell.
I think I have licked it(???).
I have tried the age old idea of booting up in Safe Mode and all was then OK. I then reverted to a normal boot up and the problem came back. So it must some program this being loaded during boot up. Going to 'Start', 'run', 'msconfig' and going to the 'Start up' tab, I unticked all the programs that I had added recently and then rebooted. All was then well. I have tried adding some of the 'removed' programs and all is still well but I am reluctant to go too far in case it all goes pear shaped again. I will try some more - one at a time in due course as I would like to find out the offending program.
Have you tried this approach?

Windsor

FreeCell 18:13 29 Jan 07

Windsor
Thanks for the update. Not been through that process, but when I can get more prolonged access to the PC I will try the Safe Mode approach and see if it makes any difference. Unless you are doing something using the computer it's difficult to spot if its happening as sometimes it has to be used for an hour or to before it freezes.

On mine the fact that it appears to "freeze" right on start-up sometimes has influenced me to think it's hardware related. Checked memory with Memtest86, checked all internal connections are made good, etc but nothing seemed to fix it. Safe mode seems a thing to try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…