Temporary files

Newby 07:48 08 Jun 03

Previously I have read about various ways to remove temporary files. I use the search (*.temp or *.tmp). The former frequently tells me I haven't any, the latter gives (and I quote) "a list as long as your arm".
The problem is, what do the file names stand for? The problem is being able to identify the file so that I can determine if they are safe to delete! Any clues?

Bebee 08:04 08 Jun 03

If you are using Windows you can use the Disk Cleanup utility in the System Tools (Start/Programs/Accessories). This will offera list of types of file you can delete - all of which are safe. It can take a long time if you haven't used it before - once you use it regularly it'll get quicker.

Hope this helps.

Stuartli 08:52 08 Jun 03

In IE Tools>Options>Advanced you can check "Empty Internet Explorer Temporary Files folder when browser is closed"; click Apply and then OK - each time you reboot you will see the message that these files are being deleted.

It's also accepted that any temporary files more than a day old can be safely deleted.

Newby 10:04 08 Jun 03

Thanks, Guys,
Does deleting temporary files over a day old cover ALL files - just Temp. Internet files?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…