Templates in Word

Gary Wood 18:15 28 Aug 07

I need to create a template in Microsoft Word to print onto preprinted letterhead. The template will be used by other people, so I want to put some restrictions on it.

At the top right, I want specific fields for the user to enter their contact information in specific places.

For the address details and the whole of the rest of the document, I want to restrict users to a specific font/size.

Is this possible, and how? I've looked at Word document templates but can't figure out how to create the protection required.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

VoG II 18:21 28 Aug 07

Type Protect Template into the Help in Word.

Gary Wood 19:15 28 Aug 07

VoG™,

Thanks for this. Do I need to create the entire template as a form? Using form controls would be fine for the address fields, but I don't really want to have to use Form text for the main area where the letter will be typed.

Thanks,

Gary

VoG II 19:26 28 Aug 07

To be honest I don't know. I've used forms where the user has to enter blocks of text but not for a whole letter. You may need to experiment.

Where is Taff™ when you need him?

Gary Wood 19:31 28 Aug 07

VoG™,

Thanks. The other thing I'm struggling with is getting the margins of page one to be different than subsequent pages.

A few webpages I've looked at have suggested setting all the margins as required for page 2 onwards and then using invisible text boxes with wrapping set to push the margins inwards on page one! That seems a bit of a silly way of going about it, though - I'm sure it should be possible to set page one to have different margins!

Anyone know how to do it?

Thanks,

Gary

VoG II 19:38 28 Aug 07

On Page 1 insert a Section Break - Page Layout tab > Breaks > section Breaks > Next Page.

Also on the Page Layout tab, on Page 1 set a margin, then on Page 2 set a different margin.

Gary Wood 19:47 28 Aug 07

The process you describe is exactly what I would do if I were formatting an existing document. However, I don't know how to set a section break to always occur at the end of page 1. I'm trying to create this as a template for users to just type their letters on to...

Taff™ 09:45 29 Aug 07

Morning All! (Sorry VoG™ - went AWOL)

Which version of Word are you using and is this version consistent across all users? I`ll apply my brain to this one - I`m not sure about having different margins on page two though. I assume the template required could result in a single page letter but if it extends onto a second page you require a different layout. I assume your existing letterhead has some kind of pre-printed information running vertically down one side? Thus on the second and subsequent pages you want the text to flow across the whole width?

Gary Wood 10:03 29 Aug 07

Taff™,

Thanks for this. I'm using Word 2007, but most users will (at least initially) be using 2003. I could use 2003 to make the template, if that's easier.

We have several offices, so the letterhead is being printed with only the registered office address on it. The local office address from which the sender is writing needs to be printed onto the letterhead when the letter itself is printed. Also, as you suggested, there is information down the right of the page.

So, what I need is a template which does the following:

- Has fields for the user to enter their local address details at the top right, but without being able to change the font, size etc.

- Has margins of Top 5cm, Left 1.6cm, Right 4.2cm and bottom 4cm on page one. Subsequent pages need a margin of 2.5cm on all sides.

- Has a default font and size for the main letter text which is not changable (other than bold, italic and underline) by users.

Many thanks in advance if you can help.

Gary

Gary Wood 11:56 30 Aug 07

Anyone got any ideas on this? I need to make the template and send it out to local offices ASAP, so would really appreciate any suggestions.

Taff™ 16:33 30 Aug 07

I`m struggling with this and I seem to have a compromise solution based on a 2002 template which should work on 2003.

The downside is that you can not prevent "local" formatting alterations for each of your offices. It`s better to create a template for each office with their details on the template and automatically inserted.

Can I suggest you contact me by sending me a Personal Message (Yellow envelopeso that you can send me examples of the letterheading.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…