Temperature problems!?

Maineman 16:22 12 Jul 04

I am running XP profesional, and all was fine until intermittently on start-up I was getting a warning message saying that the CPU fan isn't working. This increased in frequency, and on checking, the fan WAS working. Eventually the system wouldn't start at all and my mobo diagnostics indicated a processor error. In general everything seemed too hot. I bought a new processor, upgrading from AMD Duron 1.2 to AMD Duron 1.8ghz and it started first time as if normal. An hour or so later when I loaded CM 03/04 the computer just shut itself down without warning. I tried another game, same problem once loaded. I thought it was just games, maybe a graphics problem, but after leaving the computer on, downloading for an hour or so, it shut itself down again. No error message, just switched itself off. I'm guessing it's my power supply so I've ordered a new one, but in the meantime any ideas or suggestions please?? I don't want to fry my new processor!
Thanks in advance.

Diodorus Siculus 16:31 12 Jul 04

Sounds like the temp settings in the BIOS is too low - check what they are set for and what the PC is told to do when they are reached (ie shutdown, emit warning signal or what).

And turn on the PC, go into the bios and check the temperature there.

How you get into the BIOS depends on your PC; some will say "press del to enter setup" others Esc, F1, F2 etc,

Maineman 17:07 12 Jul 04

Thanks, sounds reasonable, I'll give that a try this evening. It was fine before though, and I hadn't made any changes. Cheers.

Maineman 22:16 12 Jul 04

Well I checked in the BIOS as suggested and found that 'critical CPU temperature' is marked as disabled, and the CPU temp shows at 52 degrees, system temp at 30 degrees, which seem normal. The only 'auto power off' feature is 'after AC power loss' which I guess points to the power supply being the problem.
Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant