Temperature probes for cpu and hard drive

dave_the_red 15:55 17 Nov 04

I have just bought a new case for my pc and it has two front temperature readouts, one for the processor and one for the hard drive. I dont know where and how to put the probes for these on to cpu/hard drive for best results. Can anybody help?

Also I have temperature readouts from my Bios so is it worth using this probe if I already have readings from the Bios. Are the Bios readings usually reliable?

If I dont need to use it then could I use it to measure other temperatures like my graphics card or general case temperature.

Sorry for the long post and all the questions.

Thanks

Dave

TomJerry 16:09 17 Nov 04

CPU temp is measured with a sensor on motherboard in close contact with CPU. Readings from Bios are correct ones.

There are already sensors on motherboard which measure all necessary temperatures. You do not need any extra prob.

If the stuff you got is a good stuff, it should have a usb connector, you can link it to an internal usb port on motherboard and infomration will be pass to it via this link. Of course, a software driver (come with the good stuff) is need for enabling this communication. Without this function, the stuff is just a crap.

TomJerry 16:11 17 Nov 04

hard drives with SMART function (almost all modern HDD have it) have onboard temperature sensor already. What you need is a proper software to get this and pass it to your display.

Tog_ 16:11 17 Nov 04

The readings in BIOS aren't indicative of the temperature your componenets reach when under heavy load. Utilities like MainBoard Monitor are more useful for that (IF they are compatible with your motherboard). The HDD temp sensor sounds like a good idea, but I would expect it to have to be in contact to get a good reading.

dave_the_red 16:25 17 Nov 04

Thanks for the quick replies, so I may just use them to get a reading of my internal case temperature then. Seems pointless trying to put them on my processor and hard drive if I can already get readings from them by built in probes.

I dont know if my motherboard supports the USB communication with the sensor that you mention TomJerry. I will have to have a look when I get home.

Let me see if I understand you right. My sensors on the case if they are good quality should have a USB connector on that I can attach to my motherboard somewhere and the temperature readings will then show on the front panels on my case. Is that right. Sorry if I am not understanding very well.

Thanks

TomJerry 16:34 17 Nov 04

speed fan click here (free) will give you all sensor readings.

Motherboard monitor also do the similar job, but is development has been stopped.

You may have software come with motherboard already.

dave_the_red 16:48 17 Nov 04

I have got some software that came with my motherboard called Asus Probe and it gives you fan rpm readings and various temperatures etc. Also can be set to have alarms if any of them go beyond acceptable limits. The main reason I was going to use these probes was because I wasnt sure how accurate the temperatures in this software would be. Now I know so I am sure I can come up with some novel way to use the probes that are with my case.

Thanks again.

Wilham 17:13 17 Nov 04

I had two temperature probes with my Thermaltake Xaser III case. The one for the CPU was a small wafer thin strip. It was intended to be mounted between the CPU and the clip-on-cooler.

That area is covered with silicon heat-conductive grease. I never fitted the probe,...I don't wish to impede the heat flow, even if a minor effect.

The following may be of interest. I took delivery of a server for my son. When he ran it we found one of its two cpu's packed up after 5 min. Several re-runs gave same result so he took out the cpu to return under warranty.

"Look at this" he said. The silicon grease cooler was in the form of double-sided sticky tape. (In my day we squeezed it from a tube).
This tape still had a protective layer of plastic.

The skin was peeled off to reveal the 'grease', cpu was put back,...problem solved.

It is reassuring that such overheating does not cause permanent damage.

dave_the_red 12:58 18 Nov 04

I very nearly did that myself with them, nearly forgot to take off the plastic sheet on one side but realised at the last minute. It is reassuring to know that the cpu was still ok after that.

Dave

Stuartli 15:20 18 Nov 04

AIDA32 includes CPU and mobo temperature readouts, plus CPU fan speed, from Computer>Sensor.

Just reading the case's temperature won't be of any value at all.

TomJerry 16:48 18 Nov 04

because CPU has self protection mechanism, once overheat it just switch off. I have not heard anyone fire a Intel CPU yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…