temperature

Astrid 09:52 17 Jul 10

My OS is Windows XP SP3. I recently had trouble with slowed up computer, plus message about overheating. I'd more or less decided to buy a new one, with Windows 7, more memory, and everything in tip top condition. I've had my present computer for five years. A technician came to advise, hoping to make my present computer more efficient. He took it away to work on it and returned itwith a new power unit, which I'm sure it needed, and an extra fan for cooling, plus a very good tune up. Now all is working well, much faster, more stable in every way. I've decided against a new computer, at least for the time being. However, on using Acronis Drive Monitor test today, I still get the message that, though the disk is 100%, there is still overheating. Should I take notice of this still?

rdave13 10:27 17 Jul 10

I'd download Everest Home from click here .
Run everest and in the left column expand computer then click on sensor. That should give you the hard disk temperature.My laptop hdd at 40° and desktop at 30°

gengiscant 10:28 17 Jul 10

'I still get the message that, though the disk is 100%'??? Is that 100% full or what and what is overheating? the harddrive or something else?

rickf 10:32 17 Jul 10

could be the cpu needs to be cleaned and a new layer of thermal paste applied.

johndrew 10:35 17 Jul 10

You really need to identify the manufacturer and type of HDD as the maximum operation temperature varies from drive to drive - not a huge amount but enough if a bit warm to give an indication.

Additionally most HDD monitors allow you to set a warning level for temperature - I have not used Acronis Drive Monitor but it is likely to be similar. What temperature is set?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…