TEMP folder stops some installations!!

SpyMan²°°­­³ 12:34 11 Feb 03

I don't know if any of you have had problems in the past with installing software or games but i thought i would share my recent solution with you.

I had recently struggled to reload 'Medal of Honor'...the best game of all time after reformatting my hard drive. After trying to install it several times...changing settings, disabling stuff and nearly came close to hitting my PC...although the last one has the least effect if you were gonna try that method. I kept getting an error box up and installation was ended.

Anyway...i went on to the electronic arts website...and one of the troubleshooters mentioned emptying the TEMP folder...so i did..and it worked.

This may be common knowledge to some people but i didn't think it would have any effect to an installation.

So if you are havinf installation problems...try emptying your TEMP folder.

leo49 12:37 11 Feb 03

"although the last one has the least effect if you were gonna try that method"

MartinT-B 15:17 11 Feb 03

This is a known issue with 'big' programs.

It took me 7 tries to install Norton System works 2003.

Eventually I found help! click here=

As you will see (if the link works) Symantecs step 2 is remove all temp files!

To remove temporary files:
1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. Navigate to the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP (C:\WINNT\TEMP for Windows NT) folder.

CAUTION: Files in this folder are typically created by Windows and applications. However, if you have placed files in this folder that you want to keep, then copy them to a different location.

3. Delete all files that do not have the current date.

NOTE: Windows 2000 has two Temp folders: the System Temp folder (by default, C:\WinNT\Temp) and the User Temp folder (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp, where <username> is the name that you are currently logged in as).

If you still have problems, they advise:

Verify the temporary environment variables
Verify that your temporary environment variables are set correctly. Specifically, be sure they are set to folders that actually exist. Follow these steps to check the temporary environment variables:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type sysedit and then press Enter. The System Configuration Editor opens.
3. In the window titled C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT, look for a temporary variable. It should look like this:

4. If there are multiple TEMP variables, delete them so that there is only one entry. There should not be an entry that looks like either of the following:

5. After you have made the changes, click the File menu, and then click Exit; click Yes when you are prompted to save the changes.

Empty the C:\Windows\Temp folder
A full Temp folder can cause problems during installation. Follow these steps to empty the C:\Windows\Temp folder:
1. Click Start, and then click Shut Down. The Shut Down Windows window appears.
2. Click "Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode," and then click Yes. After the computer reboots, you should be at a C:\WINDOWS> prompt.
3. Type:

and press Enter. You should now be at a C:\Windows\Temp> prompt.
4. Type:

Deltree *.*

and press Enter.
5. Press Y to confirm the deletion.
6. Restart the computer normally and Windows will recreate the Temp folder.

Empty the Recycle Bin
To ensure that there is enough free space on your drive to install Norton SystemWorks, you should also empty your Recycle Bin. Do so only if you are sure there are no files in the Recycle Bin that you might want to recover.
1. Right-click the Recycle Bin, and then click Empty Recycle Bin.
2. When prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

End Task on everything running in the background
Whenever you install a program, it is best to close all applications running in the background to avoid conflicts. To do so, do the following:
1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del. The Close Program dialog box appears.
2. Select the first entry in the list that is not Explorer or Systray.
3. Click End Task. If you see a second dialog box indicating that the program is not responding, then click End Task again.
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 until the only items remaining are Explorer and Systray. (You may not see Systray in the list, but if you do, do not end task on it.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…