Temp Files-Cannot remove

prince midas 10:07 11 Jul 05

Up to a few days ago I could remove temp files in the windows\temp folder without a problem.
But now the folder is filling up with temp files over 120 files.It will not let me remove them even when i use a utility to remove temp files. Any suggestions and is it a problem.

keith-236785 10:15 11 Jul 05

windows will not let you remove any files that are currently in use.

120+ is an large amount to have "in use", so i would suspect some spyware/malware to be at work. it could be a virus/trojan or just your anti-virus checker files (my AVG uses one or two files which i am unable to delete as they are in use)

im sure someone will come on with instructions for how to check in MSconfig what is running and let you know what is safe to disable.

try running a virus check online via housecall click here

just enter your location and let it install the small virus definition pack and you can then do a full system check.

if you want to check for trojans, try click here 30day trial, it wont delete any trojans but at least it will make you aware of their presence.

good luck

keith-236785 10:21 11 Jul 05

windows will not let you remove any files that are currently in use.

120+ is an large amount to have "in use", so i would suspect some spyware/malware to be at work. it could be a virus/trojan or just your anti-virus checker files (my AVG uses one or two files which i am unable to delete as they are in use)

im sure someone will come on with instructions for how to check in MSconfig what is running and let you know what is safe to disable.

try running a virus check online via housecall click here

just enter your location and let it install the small virus definition pack and you can then do a full system check.

if you want to check for trojans, try click here 30day trial, it wont delete any trojans but at least it will make you aware of their presence.

good luck

VoG II 10:25 11 Jul 05

I would scan with a² click here

prince midas 13:11 11 Jul 05

I used Norton Antivirus all clear and then trojan remover which again gave the all clear.
I then went into MSConfig and manually removed all the startup programs which cleared all the temp files.
I then put back all the system startup files and still clear apart from the odd Perfidia temp file which was okay.
I then put back Spysweeper into the startup and this put 73 files onto my temp file.
I then added spyware doctor which put another 30 files onto my temp file folder.The machine still working fine. I then removed both spyware doctor and then spysweeper. The temp files dissapeared but I was unable to access the internet. I then put back the 2 programs and everything is back to normal PLUS the 103 TEMP files. Looks like they will have to stop there.

cymbo 14:07 11 Jul 05

Hi, Would this be of any use to you? click here It contains useful information about deleting temporary files and I have used it many times with no adverse effects.

Regards,

cymbo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…