telnet ...problem in XP

carlos 21:52 30 Aug 03

Use Telnet to access my mail server, sometimes. Had no problem in '98, just entered my email server. When I open in XP( a newbie to it, be gentle...)there's nothing, except a command prompt. Be very grateful for pointers.
PS I hope Woodchip had a cold shower and is back

harry_b 22:19 30 Aug 03

Use hyper terminal in the accessories, communications section of the programs group.

carlos 22:28 30 Aug 03

Am a "newbie" to XP. When I do what you suggest ....get a dialup BTBB.Where do I go from there? In Win 98 , I got a "connect to remote ..." box, so just typed in my email server.....Like my previous requests re accessing same facilities after upgrading to XP...just SO different!

carlos 22:32 30 Aug 03

linked the OSs.......with relational help files. Prob been discussed many times but new to me and Xtremely frustrating! Why not stick in the XP help files EG: in W98 you do this but, now you have Win this?

harry_b 22:39 30 Aug 03

create new connection from the file menu, enter a name for the new connection (anything you like) then when the connection type window appears change from com1 to tcp/ip winsock, type in the server address and off you go, presumably if it connects to the mail server then you will be prompted for password etc.

carlos 09:26 31 Aug 03

it's assuming that I've got a modem....I've got BT broadband. All the boxes are for phone numbers. Funny that, I only recently changed my OS. It worked fine with Win98. Good morning, btw

harry_b 13:47 31 Aug 03

when you alter the com1 to tcp/ip the window will change so that you can enter the host address etc instead of tel n.o

carlos 19:37 31 Aug 03

thank you for your persistence. Worked a treat........1st rule in new OSs? DON'T panic lol.
Much obliged!

harry_b 19:51 31 Aug 03

ur welcome

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…