Tell me about a good back-up system

961 16:01 28 Apr 03

I know all of you back up your files and nag me consistently to do the same. On occasion I have tried, but my experiences have been disapointing and some solutions seem to be downright expensive.

So can I ask for some ideas about how to back up easily and without spending large sums of money.

I have Windows Me on a home computer that has digital photos and correspondence and not much else

I have a cd burner. I used to have a tape device for back up but found it a pain

Any suggestions gratefully received

recap 16:16 28 Apr 03

Before you begin backing up you will need to know your system so as to determine what is essential to backup and what is not.

You can do a backup on to your CD burner and keep it on a disc 961.

You could partition your HD and backup to that.

With the tape backup system you should have been able to configure it to do a scheduled backup.

With all backup's though it is advisable to keep the backup copy in a safe place away from your computer.

Lú-tzé 16:32 28 Apr 03

click here for good advice.

Paranoid Android 17:28 28 Apr 03

This one has been doing the rounds a lot lately - check the threads. The general consensus seems to be that

1) you should have some sort of disk imaging program to take a total system snapshot. This will allow your complete system to be recovered to EXACTLY the state it was in when the image was created.

2) Norton Ghost, DriveImage and Acronis TrueImage will do this. All you need is a suitable media to back up to (pref a 2nd HDD or CDR). Acronis TrueImage has recently been given away on a couple of coverdisks eg PC Plus.

3) Some sort of incremental backup is useful for in between main backups. In my case I simply copy 'My documents' to a second drive. This includes all my docs and e-mails. I then backup (image) to a removable hard disk once a week which takes about 12 minutes.

4) You need a robust emergency recovery disk of some sort, eg a bootable CD or floppy disk, that will let you access you backup files in the absence of a working OS.

Hope this helps.

Marvin.

pj123 17:35 28 Apr 03

You could also read this previous thread and read my response click here

mrdsgs 18:14 28 Apr 03

i would recommend Norton Ghost for making an "image" of your entire disk so that you can do a complete reinstall if your system crashes.

I would then recommend either cd rewriter or probably a zip drive for daily backups of your data files ( a 250 mb zip disk is usually adequate for data files). Use a rewritable cd for older files that do not change as often, such as photographs and other large files.

ThisNameIsMine 18:32 28 Apr 03

I have my hard disk partioned into 2 drives, C: and D:. I install all my programs onto C: and save all my work to D:. that way if windows ever crashes u only need to format C: and all you work is saved for when you re-install.

-pops- 18:44 28 Apr 03

If you are backing up to a hard drive, it is much better to back up to a physically different drive rather than a partition on the same drive as you are backing up. If you are backed up to the same physical drive, then if that goes wrong (which, being mechanical, is quite possible) you have lost everything.

You can get quite reasonable drives now for less than £50 which are big enough to backup most people's systems for them.

Brian

961 19:26 28 Apr 03

Thanks to all

Lots of ideas and threads.

Impressed with the Langa site

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…