telewest webstar and belkin wireless

wifi 08:47 11 Oct 06

Hello this seems to be a popular problem. I have a telewest webstar usb modem. I have purchased a belkin wireless router can i get it to work ? No

I have tried but I cannot connect to the internet my desktop or my modem will not talk to the router. My wireless laptop knows the router is there but cannot connect to the internet. am I missing something simple?

mgmcc 09:04 11 Oct 06

Presumably the Webstar modem also has an ethernet port? My Telewest modem is Motorola but I understood that all Cable Modems support ethernet.

That being the case, you need to power off the Cable Modem and leave it without power for two or three minutes. This is important so that it "releases" the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address it has allocated to it.

Connect the Belkin router's WAN port to the Cable Modem's ethernet port and the PC to one of its LAN ports. Power on the Cable Modem and, once fully booted, power on the router. When that is also fully booted, power on the PC. The Cable Modem should have recognised the different connection and allocated a new IP address to it.

By entering the address 192.168.2.1 into your web browser, the router's Setup pages should open and you can configure the settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…