telewest trouble with router

albal 20:18 05 Aug 06

I have bought by advice a peak four plug router,i have installed it successfully but cannot install the blueyonder set up disc,can a wireless set up be achieved or does it have to be a wired connection first.

De Marcus™ 20:33 05 Aug 06

You shouldn't be using your blueyonder disk when a router comes into the equation, the blueyonder disk is only required when your connecting directly to the modem via USB.

Wireless setups shouldn't be attempted, routers tend to crash when changes are applied, locking you out.

De Marcus™ 20:38 05 Aug 06

Your pc should connect to one of the 4 ports on the router, you should then connect the routers WAN (wide area network) port to the modems ethernet port. Reboot the modem, give it a minute or so to come online then reboot the router and give that a minute or so too.

To configure it, you need to enter a series of numbers into Internet Explorers address bar. Without knowing too much about your router, you should refer to the manual, unless you have a link to the manufacturers website in which case someone can look it up for you.

albal 20:46 05 Aug 06

So basically,you are saying that it should be wired first to set up,problem,the modem and router are downstairs and the comp is in the back bedroom am i stuffed.

De Marcus™ 20:54 05 Aug 06

Your not really stuffed, it might be a real pain to move your pc downstairs, but once setup, tested and found to be working, you can move it back upstairs and begin using it wirelessly.

ade.h 20:56 05 Aug 06

You MUST configure any router - other than Voyagers and some Netgears - through an Ethernet connection. Standard practice is for the router to apply settings changes instantly as soon as the user confirms them rather than wait for the session to be terminated. Additionally, the wireless server is in most cases disabled until configuration has taken place.

ade.h 20:57 05 Aug 06

Do you not have a friend with a laptop?

De Marcus™ 21:00 05 Aug 06

If you don't have a friend with a laptop and moving the pc is out of the question, a Loooooong ethernet cable should get you up and running.

ade.h 21:04 05 Aug 06
  albal 22:31 05 Aug 06

all this doings is for my dad at my dads house,i actually own a laptop,should i connect my laptop to the modem as main host to get the settings configuered with the ethernet and once set up would my dads comp be able to connect wireless?

De Marcus™ 22:36 05 Aug 06

Good stuff, you can complete the whole configuration (by ethernet) with your laptop, just make sure you've tested everything is working before you leave ;-)

Just one thing, you need to connect to the router, not the modem with your laptop to configure it.

Once configured, your dad should be surfing wire-free, happy days.... till aliens visit and you need to go round to fix it that is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac