Telewest networking

algernonymous 12:57 30 Sep 06

I wish to set up a home network in a friend's house. She is with Telewest and I noticed this on their website:
'Question 13 - Is the blueyonder Instant Support Tool compatible with home networking?
In most cases no, and we do not recommend the tool is installed by customers with their own network. The tool changes settings such as IP addressing setup, and can hence affect your home network. We would like to remind you that home networking is not currently supported by blueyonder.'
What concerns me is that last sentence- does that mean their supplied modem would not support home networking? Her PC is currently connected to it by USB, but I imagine the router I get will plug into the ethernet socket. Would this be a straightforward/simple procedure?

stylehurst 13:05 30 Sep 06

As a long term use of Telewest broadband there is no problem in setting up a home network. As you correctly state, if you use the ethernet connection on the supplied modem, and plug this into the router then the broadband connection will share itself on the network.
I have used the blueyonder instant support tool whilst the modem is still connected to the router, but it is more reliable, if connected directly to the PC.
If your friend has cause to telephone Telewest support,I would suggest that she disconnects the network before doing so, generally, Telewest support staff, officially, have no understanding of networking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…