Telewest broadband x2 computers

  shifty 07:44 13 Feb 03

A friend has his main computer connected up to broadband through telewest. Could a wireless network adaptor be used so that a second computer could also access the broadband connection? He was looking at a wireless network adaptor + card but was put off as it only mentions using the system on dial up internet connections and not permenant connections. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

  jazzypop 11:08 13 Feb 03

Yes - but he would need a wireless adaptor in each PC.

  fitshase 12:55 13 Feb 03

I have telewest broadband and use a wireless router. I have the desktop system wired to the router, the router wired to the cable modem and then a wireless card in my laptop. That way, the machine wired to the router does not need to be on in order for me to access the internet from the laptop.

If you don't go for the router, buying a USB wireless adaptor for both machines, like jazzypop says, to network them should work fine. You would need the machine connected to the cable modem on in order to access the internet from the second machine though.

Hope this helps.



  1832bchs 16:00 13 Feb 03

Highly recommend Netgear MA101 USB wifi adaptor. PC World were doing them for £20 off.

  shifty 19:42 13 Feb 03

Thanks all for the information received.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch