Telewest Broadband Wireless Set up

DanielSan 14:48 23 Apr 06

Hi,

I have just had Telewest 'Blueyonder' Broadband set up at home which connects into my laptop via a standard ethernet cable from a Telewest provided Webstar modem.

I have purchased a NETGEAR DG834G Wireless ADSL Router in order to initiate a wireless network.

However, the set-up instructions for the NETGEAR Router explain that it should be connected through the telephone line using an ADSL splitter.

Given that the broadband comes in through cable (attaching to the back of the modem) rather than through the phone socket, do I attach the router to the modem rather than going direct from the telephone socket?.

If so which lead should I use to connect the modem to the router?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mgmcc 14:58 23 Apr 06

Unfortunately, you have bought a combined "Router & ADSL Modem" which is only suitable for use with ADSL delivered via the phone line - it cannot be used with Telewest's Cable service.

You need a stand-alone wireless router, usually described as a "Cable/DSL Router" (don't confuse the reference to DSL with models with the built-in ADSL Modem).

Minkey1 19:17 23 Apr 06

I've just got Netgear's wireless router WPNT834 click here to go with my new Telewest connection. Hope you can swap your ADSL one for a cable variant.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…