Telephone Line PowerSurge Protection & Broadband

malynx 20:47 10 Nov 05

I'm setting up a home Ethernet network for the purpose of sharing ASDL broadband internet.
My proposal is to connect the micofilter to a modem/router then run an Ethernet cable to each (two) computer.
Both computers have power surge protection extension cables that offer telephone protection.
The problem is that the microfilter plugs directly into the wall telephone socket.

How can I protect my network from phone line power surges?

Forum Editor 23:57 11 Nov 05

as far as telephone lines are concerned is a surge resulting from a lightning strike - what engineers call a "good hit". Switching transients generally do not occur on telephone lines because no powerful inductive devices are connected to the phone system. If they were, your phone wouldn't work.

Power spikes from lightning strikes are certainly a danger, and anyone with a modem or ADSL router connected to a phone line will be well advised to pull the connector jack from the microfilter when storms are in the vicinity.

You can buy telephone line surge suppressors, but they must be connected to an external earth - preferably the same one as your computer - so as to avoid potential voltage differences between the surge protector and your computer.

click here to see a range of available devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…