telephone does not work if the PC is on

bbmf474 08:16 06 May 05

My son had problem with his pc.
Now it has come back, if the pc is turned on no dial tone. Turn the pc off and the dial tone returns.
He runs 2000 and on the back of the pc are two telephone sockets. The modem and telephone are plugged into same socket
Can you experts please help
thanks in advance
bbmf

Graham ® 08:24 06 May 05

The modem sockets are normally 1) Connect the modem to the telephone socket. 2) Connect the telephone to the modem for dial tone.

Stuartli 09:51 06 May 05

You should only need to connect the RJ11 equipped cable into the modem - the other end of the cable should have a BT plug to insert either into a phone socket or telephone extension cable.

Also, in the modem's Properties, Wait for Dial Tone should (is normally) be Enabled.

TomJerry 11:03 06 May 05

both modem and phone connect to this spliter

then phone does not need to go through modem, there maybe some problem in modem, a pound will solve the problem

Stuartli 14:30 06 May 05

What is the make and model of the modem?

Totally-braindead 14:36 06 May 05

I'm wondering if it could be a REN problem. Most phones have a REN value of one and most home phones will allow a maximum REN value of four. In other words if all the phones are in fact REN one then you can connect up to four phones until it causes a problem, I wonder if a modem has a REN value as well and if it takes up one of the spaces. Appologies if this is not related to your problem. It is simply checked mind you, just disconnect all the other phones and see if its all ok then, if it is then it may be that you have too many phones connected.

Stuartli 17:05 06 May 05

You are correct but, until I got broadband, I had a cordless phone, two extension phones, an answering machine and my modem in use - it never proved a problem on a phone line that was installed nearly 30 years ago.

I'm still puzzled as to why bbmf474's modem needs both a modem and a telephone cable connection?

The Diamond SuperExpress 56i V Pro modem still used for two PAYG services on my system has just the one RJ11 connection.

Graham ® 17:48 06 May 05

To clarify, the REN (Ringer Equivalent Number) value only applies when a phone is actually ringing. The AC current will only supply so many phones, after that, some may not ring.

The DC current normally present should not be affected, so outgoing calls should be OK.

Buchan 35 19:33 06 May 05

How many telephones have you in yuor house?

Buchan 35 19:37 06 May 05

No Answers, He`s probably working late.

bbmf474 12:00 08 May 05

Thanks for the advice.
My son has hadto work this weekend but he will be trying to resolve the problem asap
thanks
bbmf

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…