Teknum

rawprawn 15:12 10 Mar 06

I know that this has been posted before but after installing Handybits Easycrypt (recomended here) I uninstalled it after not liking the way teknum always wanted to contact the internet, no problem. However I later found it trying to connect again so I searched for anything left in the registry and deleted all, The problem is it keeps commimng back. I have deleted all Teknum system files but there must be something else that is restoring it. It doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment but it's annoying. Any ideas.

rawprawn 08:02 11 Mar 06

I did another Registry clean for teknum, cleared it out again and then did a search fo Handybits and found two more registry entries which I have deleted. It hasn't come back so far so I will tick as resolved.

rawprawn 11:27 12 Mar 06

It's back, this has really got me guessing even though it dosn't seem to cause any problems but how does it keep regeerating.

Falkyrn 12:02 12 Mar 06

Have a look within
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

rawprawn 12:40 12 Mar 06

Hi, no there is nothing there that shouldn't be but I have deleted teknum from the registry yet again. A search now shows nothing, but I know it will be back. I just don't understand how.
Thanks for trying.

beynac 12:43 26 Mar 06

Hi rawprawn.

Are you still having trouble with Teknum? Like you, I thought that I'd got rid of it but it suddenly reappeared. I searched the registry, AGAIN, for all references to "Teknum" and "Handybits" and deleted everything I found.

I found this thread click here which was very helpful. I followed the advice (post dated 23/5/2005) to unregister and then remove "ssmenu.dll". This sounds logical as it is a Teknum file and it's obvious that there must be some sort of progarm reapplying the registry startup entry. I believe that ssmenu.dll is triggered by something to do with the right-click menu in Windows Explorer. I obviously won't know whether this has worked straight away, but if the registry entry isn't there next week then I'll assume it has !!

I think it's a hell of a shame that Teknum put this in, what is otherwise, a very good program. Their attitude over this is mind-boggling - how can you trust a software company's products to be secure when they behave like this?

I now use Steganos LockNote (available from click here ). Not the same sort of thing, but a very handy tool.

I hope this helps, if you're still having trouble with Teknum reasserting itself.

beynac 14:44 26 Mar 06

bump

rawprawn 16:41 26 Mar 06

Hi thanks for that post, I still can't stop Teknum reinserting itself into the registry. I have deleted it many times and all connected entries that I can find, but it still comes back. However I have learned to live with the entry as it does absolutely nothing as far as I can tell. I had seen the thread you posted before, but rather than get in deeper by downloading other things from them, I have decided to leave it alone. It really is annoying though!!! (I am now using AxCrypt with no problems)

Marsh Warden © ™ 16:57 26 Mar 06

Dear Customer,

HandyBits products does NOT contain spyware.
Our update service (see
click here for more
details) starts on system startup and checks our server (s1.teknum.com) for
product update information.

Update service is designed to be shared by multiply products, so it is not
removed automatically when you uninstall a specific program. If you don't
want to use any of HandyBits products and you want to remove update service,
you can simply delete the directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\Teknum
Systems. Please note that the location and name of <Program Files> folder
depends on Windows setup and user locale, and could be different on your
machine.

Please download and run this file (hbCleanUp.exe), this small program will
remove all tracks of HandyBits products from your PC.
click here

Please, do not hesitate to take contact again if you will have any further
queries.

Best regards
HandyBits Support Team
Teknum Systems AS, Oslo
</quote>

I have downloaded the cleanup utility from the libk some time ago as I was having the same problem as you, and it worked a treat.

beynac 17:02 26 Mar 06

I agree that it wouldn't be sensible to download Teknum's uninstall tool. I saw a thread in another forum where the person had used it and was going to have to reinstall XP to get system restore working !!

I certainly think that the removal of ssmenu.dll is worth a go. If it works - great! If it doesn't - at least that's another bit of Teknum gone.

I'll let you know next week whether I'm still clear.

rawprawn 17:10 26 Mar 06

OK thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009