For the technical minded ~ Lost Partition

snowman 21:41 23 Jun 04

I have a primary(NTFS) and secondary(Fat 32) hard drives on IDE1 running on win XP pro.

Both have 3 partitions Primary C,D,E and secondary E,F,G

A write error occured on F informing me that data has been lost. The drive now shows as RAW but healthy and requires formatting. The data on F is important and the backups i have are unfortunatly not up to date

Has anybody used data recovery software that actualy works as i suspect the master boot record or partition table are corrupt.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:49 23 Jun 04

File recovery :-
Easyrecovery click here

snowman 21:59 23 Jun 04

Fruit Bat have you used Easy Recovery

Chegs ® 22:30 23 Jun 04

click here

This CD has a "Partition Recovery" tool on it,I have used it before(once)to recover my 12 Partitions across 240Gb RAID setup.Since then,I have always backed up to DVD-RW,but this hasn't been a failsafe system as I have now mislaid the so**ing disc. grrrr!

THE TERMINATOR 22:39 23 Jun 04

Have you made a mistake, as according to your thread both your drives have an E:\ partition?...TT

snowman 22:43 23 Jun 04

Chegs thanks i will download it although it is large at 52mb so may not get back to you for a while

Did your problem stem from a write error?

snowman 22:51 23 Jun 04

sorry terminator yes the secondary is F,G,H

woodchip 22:52 23 Jun 04

If you get stuck put the drive in a computer running 98se and see if it will read as slave. if not just drop down to DOS and type FDISK/MBR and the drive letter like this

C:\WINDOWS>FDISK/MBR X: where X is the drive letter then press enter

snowman 22:57 23 Jun 04

Woodchip the F drive is being recognised in Win XP but is showing as Raw and not formatted. G & H are all intact and all data can be accessed as normal. At the moment i have done nothing to F drive as i do not want to write to the drive without being sure that it will be the answer. Is there a method of determing if the MBR or partition table are corrupt?

woodchip 23:04 23 Jun 04

On the Fat 32 drive it sets two MBR's one at the front of the drive that windows uses and one at the back just in case the first gets corrupt When you FDISK/MBR it restores the good MBR from the back of the drive. But to do it I would suggest putting it in a Fat32 computer 98se. If you try it make sure the comp is using Fat32 not Fat16

snowman 23:18 23 Jun 04

thanks woodchip i can try that at the weekend when i can access a computer running Win Me. Reading information on hard drives i understood that NTFS used the 2 MBR one to mirror the other if windows could not read the first it would replace it with the second. I did not realise that Fat 32 used a similar system. Could a write error corrupt the partition to the extent that all data disappears the partition looks fine with the partition letter intact but asking for it to be formatted?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac