Technical coding problem with bot

dougle00 21:51 20 Apr 09

Hello anyone advise?

I have a coder working for me and i have asked for him to create a bot to read info from different sites and put it in a comparison table on our website.

He has told me I need a dedicated ms server which costs hundreds per month.

I asked could he create the bot program to be run from my personal pc once a week and the info be uploaded to the site. He is saying this is not possible.

Can anyone help me out here as I am not technically savvy enough to challenge him with no info.

Thanks for any advice.

grey george 22:08 20 Apr 09

A lot would depend on how many sites you are looking at. Web spiders look at huge areas of the net and need a lot of resources. If its only a few sites say ten it would be easier/cheaper to do it manually. Depending on the information you are trying to collate you may find that some sites block automatic access, so you need human input to see the information.
I wonder if companies like google or others would supply the information you require as a subscription service this maybe a lot cheaper than employing a programmer and hosting servers.

dougle00 11:33 21 Apr 09

Thanks Grey, my coder is telling me I can run the program on my local computer, but the results will be in html format, therefore I need a dedicated server to upload this. I cannot understand why?

Anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

dougle00 11:33 21 Apr 09

Thanks Grey, my coder is telling me I can run the program on my local computer, but the results will be in html format, therefore I need a dedicated server to upload this. I cannot understand why?

Anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

dougle00 11:34 21 Apr 09

Anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

grey george 21:28 21 Apr 09

Not sure about the html requiring a dedicated server. But it may be due to how often you require the site to be updated and how the new data is integrated in to the page whilst still keeping the page available. How is your web page hosted, on your own server or by an isp?

dougle00 22:13 21 Apr 09

Hi Grey George, we are currently on a shared hosted server. I was told I need a dedicated ms server, I simply can't afford that.

I have asked the coder to elaborate so am waiting on him.

Does it seem like it could be done on a shared host? I mean could you design a bot to trawl 20 pages max, read some table info and bring it back to our site?

Thanks

dougle00 22:13 21 Apr 09

Hi Grey George, we are currently on a shared hosted server. I was told I need a dedicated ms server, I simply can't afford that.

I have asked the coder to elaborate so am waiting on him.

Does it seem like it could be done on a shared host? I mean could you design a bot to trawl 20 pages max, read some table info and bring it back to our site?

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…